Smart meters, nearly fell off my stool.

I have just, well last week, had an email with a contact number on it to call and get a smart meter installed complete with a talking consumer device. Not run them yet, intend to do that tomorrow afternoon, but wondered as I know we have had some people on here who might know this, do they have any issues like making radio frequency interference from their power supply or whatever?

One of my hobbies is listening around the short waves and it hard enough already with wall warts, tvs and internet over the mains devices to contend with, without having my own personal interference make permanently wired into the house!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

It?s only the in house display (IHD) and presumably the speech synthesiser that will require a wall wart. No reason you couldn?t unplug it whilst you?re using your short wave radio. It won?t interfere in any way with your smart meter functioning.

Tim

Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) snipped-for-privacy@bluey> I have just, well last week, had an email with a contact number on it to

Reply to
Tim+

Yes I'm worried though as presumably the modem and other bits of the meter have to have an internal psu as well which you cannot of course do much about. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

They?re battery powered.

Tim

Brian Gaff snipped-for-privacy@bluey> Yes I'm worried though as presumably the modem and other bits of the meter

Reply to
Tim+

smart gas meters are battery powered (but brian has said before that he gas no gas supply) but smart electric meters are mains powered, so will have an internal PSU (presumably switch-mode) and there's precisely nothing he can do to "unplug" that

Reply to
Andy Burns

Why would sir want such a thing?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

He is blind !, so either essential or very useful to him.

Reply to
Andrew

Hopefully in future they will give us a web interface, to give the required info.

I would have thought that would be relatively easy to add a talking interface to. Presumably Brian has some apps that already help with the web?

Reply to
Pancho

OIC. Do meters give such problems to blind people? I thought that operatives from the suppliers were still sent out. Maybe the service has been cut.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Apologies. You?re quite right.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Smart meters are sold on more than remote metering. We're supposed to be able to save oodles of money if we consent to having them installed - not sure how.

Reply to
Max Demian

By allowing variable tariffs. I currently get 4 hours every night charged at 5p/kWhr as opposed to 15p during the day. Perfect for charging my car.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I can't think of a single advantage, except for the car charging thing that someone mentioned. Indeed, that seems to be the sole reason for the push to make people have them. So that charging times can be somewhat controlled.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

The more people move to that type of tariff, the less advantageous it will become, ISTR the graphs already show the average and maximum daily prices creeping up?

Reply to
Andy Burns

It?s not a question of ?controlling? it, it?s just makes it much more affordable if you have a significant consumption that you can time-shift to an off-peak period.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Indeed. Prices will be going up across the board soon I think and you?re probably right that the peak/off-peak difference will diminish as the number of EVs increases. Meanwhile, paying 1.5 pence per mile for my fuel is rather pleasing. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Yup

when I used to have storage rads and use E7, the night rate was less than a quarter of the standard daytime rate

now you're lucky if you can find a rate better than half (the standard rate, not the enhanced E7 day rate)

The economics of E7 has gone out the window now.

Reply to
tim...

They can also tell you whether you have any particularly energy hungry appliances. For example you might have a really inefficient fridge which could be because the door seals are leaky and so it's always trying to cool the room. (They don't tell you per-appliance, but you can deduce things as they come on and off)

You might find the display makes it easier to correlate with what you do. For example, on a normal day we would use 10kWh, but if we were doing lots of washing and drying it might be more like 13-14kWh. So I could say each dryer load was about 1kWh.

Plus if you are on a low income you can ensure you don't get bill shock at the end of the month/quarter, since the meter tells you exactly how much each day costs you. You're more aware of your usage than just when the bill lands.

These things don't magically happen just by getting one installed, but they do provide tools which can help save if you're prepared to do a little bit of work.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Of course it is. That's the major reason that they're being being pushed. I can't think of any other real advantage, can you?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

My smart meter doesn?t ?control? my car charging. I choose when I charge it. You could argue that I?m being ?manipulated? into charging my car off peak overnight. But even without a smart meter I would be charging most nights anyway so that I start the day with a ?full tank?.

Or are you talking about a ?Big brother? scenario whereby folk could potentially be cut off remotely?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+