Just received my Gas Bill from British Gas.

Small 3 Bed Bungalow reasonably insulated.

#Period: 23 Nov07----18Feb08 Kw.hrs used = 6685Kw.hrs.--- i.e 76Kw.hrs/day. (88days) 16Kw boiler(non modulating), on time = approx 5hrs per day Bill excl Vat = £177.80

They seem to have split the quarterly period into two parts so they can charge at the high rate twice during the quarter.

Don

Reply to
Donwill

Just over 3 kW mean over a whole day - quite modest.

15.2 kW mean input whilst on - sounds OK.

Price change on or around 18th Jan explains that. The total kWh charged at the higher rate should add up to the normal quarterly threshold value (or be pro-rata to the old and new threshold values if the threshold has changed).

Beware anyone taking Economy 7 electricity from them on the 'Click Energy 1' tariff: the previously very competitive night unit price has increased by over 103%! Time to change supplier, again...

Reply to
Andy Wade

You can hide, but you can't run.

Expect 50% uplift in all domestic energy prices by 2009..

I stuck some money onto a generalised commodity and energy tracker..its done +3% in just 4 weeks..justr about covered the *difference* in my oil bill (£1000 quid, yesterday) since last time. Ouch.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 01:57:38 +0000 someone who may be The Natural Philosopher wrote this:-

The price of the sunshine some use to produce 50%+ of their hot water over a year will not be going up by 2009.

Reply to
David Hansen

If that happens and we then returned to very cold winters, the result would be disasterous for many households.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cap

But only on paper, so unless you sell the units you still need the cash = to pay the bill... If you sell the units you need to buy some (at the now higher price) for the next oil bill. B-(

How many p/l was your oil? Projection for our nes fillup is mid April, =

though I expect that to get into May as things warm up and our useage go= es down.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Apart from nuclear power stations, all the energy that is used in the world, including fossil fuel, comes from sunshine.

So with respect, the fact that the sunshine is free, is totally irrelevant.

Everything is free, really, till you try and do something with it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

*shrug*. Too many people, too few resources. Welcome to the real world.

It wouldn't be disastrous anyway. Just that people would have to buy more blankets, and with luck, the fashion for bared midriffs would vanish forever.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

All in, a grand for 2200 litres. I think that made it a base price of

43p or so.

see

for latest sharp prices..

Unlike road fuel which is all tax, domestic heating oil moves with base oil prices quite closely.

I think this year will see ol in the $90-$120 bracket, with about $100/barrel being an effective floor.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

What about tidal barrages?

Reply to
LSR

Hmm... I'm quite aware of the real world. It was me who recently mentioned that the ONLY real answer is that the world's population should be cut in half, not be increased by 75 million/year, which is simply unsustainable. Why should those on comparitively low incomes be forced back into the 18th century , whilst the better off simply shrug their shoulder and continue in their profligate way?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cap

Why should those on better incomes who have carefully NOT had children, be required to take care of the spendthrift poor who copulate like rabbits? And so end up equally poor and miserable?

I wouldn't start claiming moral high ground if I were you. People standing with their noses in the air on moral high ground are and easy target for a Kalashnikov.

Anyway the answer to your question is 'because they didn't build nuclear power stations when they should have, and they did build enough surveillance systems and weaponry to make themselves the top dogs'

If you don't like it, get into a relatively high income. If you can't. think of it as evolution in action.

You are then obviously of no value to society, so why should your life be preserved in preference to any other?

;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Totall agree. I don't think I ever suggested those without children should subsidise those with.

There's no issue of moral high ground. Just, what's the point of populating the world to the point where there aren't enough resources and space for everyone to enjoy their life, even if they are doing a mundane, yet necessary job ?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cap

...except geothermal e.g. hot springs.

I suppose you could argue that fossil fuels are renewable over dozens of millions of years.

That ultimately comes from the Earth's rotation kinetic energy (not the moon's orbital energy which is actually very slowly increasing due to the tides). Which makes me think: How long before the moon is twice as far from earth? How long before the tides are half as strong? How long before the "months" are twice as long? How long would a day be at the above times?

Reply to
Ed Sirett

That's the sort of price I was being quoted by most suplliers around here at Christmas.

No good for us, they don't operate here.

Hovering around $100 already. B-(

Been fairly stable between upper 80's and 90 dollars a barrel since Christmas. What's pushed it up from 88 to 99 in the last couple of weeks?

like it's the market men getting jittery and shifting into commodities. Rather than any real world problem, like lack of supply or wars...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Check with a comparison site, double check with the supplier's site then go through Quidco.

Got £60 for changing to British Gas when they turned out to be cheapest last year and am now in line for £70 for changing to Eon now they're cheapest.

YMMV

I have never found any point to life at all.

The species is biologically constrained to screw and have babies.

Normally disease, famine, internecine warfare and predators would counteract that.

Civilisation's main thrust has been to render the above obsolete.

Up to a higher level of population anyway.

So, instead we have the strong likelihood that people will starve or freeze to death, die of disease, or die of internecine warfare.. ;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

My advice is to get your gas elsewhere. I had been with British Gas for nearly 30 years at this house and my seasonal gas ( and electricity ) bills have been amazingly constant in terms of energy used. There was a time when they would estimate a bill and get it uncannily right.

Recently their estimated bills have been all over the place, usually very much in their favour. Very high after prices had gone up and amazing low when price increases are due to happen. When I tried to provide customer supplied readings, the updates were ignored, whether provided by telephone or on-line. At least once per year they threatened me with disconnection for non-payment of a grossly inaccurate bill which I had already sent correct readings for.

It was near impossible to speak to anybody who could efficiently sort things out and I never once got a reply to any letter or e-mail that I sent - not even recorded delivery letters. The only solution appeared to be to get involved with lengthy telephone calls, no doubt with British Gas creaming off a percentage of the call charge too.

Last year I switched suppliers, based on reports of customer satisfaction rather than cheapness. My bills are even a little lower than before and the quarterly struggle to get a reasonably accurate bill has become a distant memory.

After I switched, I got a phone call from British Gas, Customer Sevices asking why I had left, so I told them that their administration was appalling, they couldn't sort out problems and nobody within British Gas appeared to talk to anybody else or keep sensible records. He then said that he was looking at my account details and they had no record of any letters, phone calls or complaints and that I must be exaggerating. I pointed out that rather than me exagerating, he was simply proving my point. He started getting very hostile and I pointed out that he was supposed to be working for Customer Sevices. and that shouting at the customer is not generally regarded as best practice in customer service circles He put the phone down on me.

In hindsight, I should have switched years before that. It's amazing to see how differently two companies can behave when it comes to selling me the same gas and electricitythrough the same pipes and wires.

Reply to
Roly

Before she became SWMBO my wife was a BG customer and paid by continuosly variable direct debit. BG consistently increased the sums debitted and refused to believe any suggestion that they were taking more than they were entitled so to do. They took no notice at all of the actual units of gas used. The only way that she was able to get a refund was to move house and not continue using gas.

Reply to
Richard

This is why I still pay elec and gas bills by cheque and check the meter readings!

Reply to
Clot