British Gas UP2 heating controller - manual? (2023 Update)

I have just had a call for help from 300 miles away "how do I put my heating on?". British Gas have recently fitted a UP2 controller - does anyone know what it actually is under the BG badge and/or where I might find a manual online? Phil

Reply to
Phil B" dot co dot united kingdom

It sounds like you're in need of some assistance with your heating system. The UP2 controller you mentioned is actually a rebadged version of the Drayton LP822. It can operate in 1, 5/2, or 7 day modes, which can be set using jumpers on the back of the device. I would recommend checking the back of the UP2 to see which jumper is currently set, and then changing it to the mode you prefer.

To find a manual for the LP822 / british gas up2 controller user manual as PDF, you can visit Drayton's website and look for the LP822 manual under their support section. It should provide detailed instructions on how to operate the controller and how to make changes to the mode settings. At the time of this writing the manual is available here:

Here are some steps in order to help troubleshoot:

  1. Locate the UP2 controller and check the back of it for the jumper settings.
  2. Find the mode jumper and check which mode it is currently set to.
  3. Change the jumper to the mode you prefer (1, 5/2, or 7 day).
  4. Check the Drayton LP822 manual on the Drayton website for more detailed instructions on how to operate the controller and make changes to the mode settings.

It's important to keep in mind that working on heating system can be dangerous, it's always better to call a professional if you're unsure about what you're doing.

Reply to
HomeOwnersHub Advisor

Probably a Drayton lifestyle programmer, but don't ask me which model.

Reply to
dennis

Well if its the same as the LP722 which replaces it, the left and right buttons step CH and DHW resp in an off/once/twice/continuous cycle and indicated on the liquid crystal display

All other controls are hidden behind the pull down flap below the display

Its all fairly self explanatory

722 manual here

geoff

Thanks both, will check that with the owner! Phil

Reply to
Phil B" dot co dot united kingdom

You have my sympathy. I had to move 200 miles to be closer to my mother after calls like these. Now I only have to drive 30 miles to flick a switch or press a button.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

replying to geoff, Linda Turner wrote: Funny that. I've been looking at my daughter's up2 today and thinking I wasn't completely stupid would be able to get the timer going. WRONG! I can't understand it at all!!!!. Can I get a manual anywhere?

Reply to
Linda Turner

8 years later, geoff's no longer around these parts! Does the UP2 controller look anything like the LP722 he suggested?
Andy Burns

replying to dennis, cpswan wrote: Thanks to everybody on this thread for pointing me in the right direction. As far as I can work out the UP2 is a Drayton LP822, and the pdf manual can be found at

The key point is that the UP2 has a jumper to choose between 1, 5/2 or 7 day timing. I had the misfortune of being stuck on 1 day even though my previous timer had 5/2 the British Gas engineer installing the UP2 told me it only did

1 day. I guess he didn't read the manual :(

I wrote a little blog post about changing the jumpers, with some pictures, at

cpswan

My Programmer was changed because the gas board engineer said it was broken. Until then it had worked perfectly but was replaced by a timer only available through BG.

I have not been able to master this one so phoned the panic line and got an engineer to come. before his arrival I went on to internet to find a replacement LP522, and found B&Q and screwfix had them.

When the BG chap arrived, I asked him if I bought a controller would he come back to fit it. Instead of coming back, he showed me that there are 2 screws under the timer. I went and bought the timer and now have peace of mind that I have heating when I want it. All for the princely sum of £59.

Reply to
Ally.sutherland4

"I have not been able to master this". Wow! It's only a timer.

Usenet dates are quite complicated, too.

Reply to
GB