Subject Author Posted Replies

Four Wheel drive
Have many 4x4 cars got difflocks.?
27

This one is for experts.
Some years ago an arm and back of a pale leather settee exhibited blue stains. My blue dressing gown was assumed to be the culprit by SWMBO. Recently we had some other chairs covered in a pure white...
4
4

What is the blue labelled fuse in my consumer unit?
In my (1980's) consumer unit, there are red labelled fuses for the mains sockets, white ones for the lighting, and a blue one that I haven't managed to trace anywhere. Is there some kind of standard...
15
15

Laptop stuck in Airplane mode
For I don't know what reason, my laptop has got stuck in airplane mode. Using my PC I've looked on the 'net for solutions, and tried going into Settings (the cog-wheel icon) > Network and Internet >...
22
22

Over sensitive humidistat
Our bathroom extractor fan has a timer and humidistat to control its operation. Lately the humidistat has seemingly become very sensitive (or perhaps just being erratic) but the end result is that the...
2
2

OT or not: mini relocation
Dear panel, How do I go from point A to point B? Point A: severe, invalidating mental health issue, currently living in a crappy council flat, broke Point B: moving to a slightly less crappy council...
15
15

Re-waterproofing outdoor cushions
Hi all The outdoor cushion covers were pretty grubby so have washed them in the washing machine. Only to then discover that I shouldn't have done it was they lose their water resistance. Doing a bit...
1
1

Iron sulphate on lawn
Hi All I have bought some iron sulphate to help get rid of the moss in my lawn. The manufacturer says I should dilute 2 or 3g of it in 1 L of water per 1m2. The lawn is around 300 M2 so 300L sounds an...
10
10

Wind turbine lights, and EV charger hogs
Lawmakers Crack Down on Wind-Turbine Lights That Flash All Night By Shannon Najmabadi, April 30, 2023, WSJ Officials with Terma and DeTect Inc., the two vendors that dominate the market on...

OT Fluorescent to LED conversion
Future FiL's 5ft LED tube failed last night so he swapped the tube for a 5ft fluorescent tube without rewiring the ballast and starter back in:-)
17
17

Fixing plinth to IKEA sideboard
Intending to make life easy, I bought two 1 Metre length sideboard units. They are eventually to be joined together to make a 2 Metre wall unit with a custom worktop fitted to the top. The plan was to...
8
8

OT : Lost for words ...
While I’m not a bell ringer, I’ve learned the fascination for some of the diehards is understanding / mastering the complexity of the various combinations of the bells. I understand that,...
1
1

Cleaning shower base and cubicle - best/easiest way?
As an escape from the day's nonsense I decided to tackle the (well overdue) cleaning of the showers. I use Viakal and Cillit Bang and it's a horrible job because of fumes and awkward access. Because...
13
13

‘Veggie’ Tim?
There used to be a poster called Tim who was a ‘keen’ veggie, hated 4x4s, liked the sealant you squirt into tyres, ….. I’ve not seen a post from him in a couple of years - probably before...
34
34

EDF have changed billing from quarterly to monthly
For years I've paid my gas and electricity by reading the meters when requested and submitting them online. If I got an estimated bill, I simply submitted the accurate readings, and a new bill was...
55
55