Subject Author Posted Replies

Cat6 unshielded with mains power?
I've an opportunity to run mains power and CAT6 to a garden summerhouse. Can they run in the same conduit? One cable each in separate conduit? Get some shielded Cat6 and use that instead? I already...
19
19

Small push-button switch
I've a couple of desk lamps with the domed push-button switches and one is rather glued together and getting more fragile. Eventually I managed to find something on Ebay - tried all sorts of search...
9
9

Re: OT - What will be completely unacceptable in 100 years - or even 50
AISB, but perhaps you were nodding off, I know nothing of fish physiology, and cannot therefore judge whether such a hook causes pain or not. I imagine they enjoy their activity, else why do it, but,...
3
3

Re: Limetron hard water conditioner
What is it? An ion exchnage column, a salt based "softener", ah no a coil of wire around a bit of pipe. As with most things snake oil you'll find the odd person who thinks said snake oil is the best...
1
1

Would like to see inside......
at local B&Q is an automated key copying machine. Drop your key in and it copies it. Mind-blowing when you consider the different types and profiles. I suppose it may reject some though.
6
6

Why are Li Ion UPSs so expensive?
In article <>, Shadow <> wrote: The battery on my last but one car, a BMW, was a Bosch Silver. Lasted 11 years. I'd say a UPS one - unless run flat often - should do at least as well. In that car the...
10
10

Incoming mains capacity - ping Adam
I'm trying to ascertain the capacity of my incoming mains just in case I acquire an electric vehicle at some time in the future (no immediate plans) and wish to install a charge-point. The incoming...
13
13

Extend cable inside kitchen ceiling
We have a fault in the cabling for one of our kitchen ceiling lights. The lamp I have just removed was running rather warm, and it's cooked the end of the cable. I can't replace the cable without...
13
13

Limetron hard water conditioner
Catchy if duff name Mailinator - Millions of Inboxes - All Yours. Mailinator - Millions of Inboxes - All Yours.
1
1

Securing a CU to a wall
I have been trying to wire in the last few circuits into my previously installed CU and have been having problems with the fixings. From previous posts you may recall that barring three cables coming...
5
5

HSS BSW taps - source?
Apologies for starting a thread that's related to DIY, rather than another OT thread of the sort which increasingly appear here ... I've just broken my last 3/16 BSW taper tap so need to get a couple...
5
5

Pop up wastes.
Is it my imagination or do pop up basin wastes have a very (6 months) short life before sticking shut and generally being annoying?
34
34

Starter relay and huge power consumption?
I bought a (new, aftermarket replacement) starter relay for a vintage Vauxhall (GM/Opel) (which was mis-sold as a starter solenoid, but nevermind) with the intention of using it for another purpose, a...
35
35

Email server settings
Can somebody tell me... Our web host had us using (for example) for email server settings whereas Thunderbird et al autodetects Both seem to work equally well. But when they move us to a different...
6
6

Who would have thought
It's more than 120V. It's even more than the other 120V! It is the sum of the two (and sometimes a different two!) that makes us who we are. Learn about the US electrical system in this not-at-all...
15
15