Why are Li Ion UPSs so expensive?

I just replaced the lead acid batteries in my UPS, and I got to thinking if I should have a Li Ion one. A Li Ion battery of the same capacity as a sealed lead acid is about 3 times more expensive. But.... at the high discharge rate you get with a UPS, the lead acid only gives you a third of its capacity, a Li Ion gives you almost all of it. So you need a third of the amount of battery so the price is identical. So how come the UPSs designed for Li Ion batteries are 5 times more expensive?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I read manufacturing cost is about 40% more and probably scale of manufacture enters. Also you must baby a lithium battery more to keep it effective and I assume this costs more in peripheral equipment.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

That is the worst thing to use. Normal car batteries are designed to produce a lot of current for short periods of time.

Now if you had said a deep cycle battery such as used on troling motors for boats you would have been more correct.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Don't "normal car batteries" also vent some nasty fumes? Or is that a thing of the past?

Reply to
Char Jackson

I've used a sealed car battery for years(present one is over 7 years old). My UPS (we call them no-breaks here)lasts about 10 minutes with its native battery - it's function is to give you time to close down programs and save data before power is cut. This really sucks if you are out shopping when the power cut happens.

With the battery I can run it for hours. Since my phone not powered by the power company, I can use the internet during that time too.

Prices for a car battery are low. compared to the price of a no-break battery (if it's for a computer, they'll charge double). PS Some no-breaks have connectors to hook up an external battery. Others you have to do a bit of soldering. []'s

PS Added an OT so I don't have to watch another "Wilkinson-sword" daylight saving/price of goods/taxes on alcoholic beverages 100+ post rant.

Reply to
Shadow

The battery on my last but one car, a BMW, was a Bosch Silver. Lasted 11 years. I'd say a UPS one - unless run flat often - should do at least as well. In that car the battery was in the boot, so well away from heat.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

In message snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk>, "Dave Plowman (News)" snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk> writes

I have a vague theory that the battery fitted by the car manufacturer always lasts longer than the eventual replacement.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Not the case here. The original battery - badged BMW - did just more the new car three year warranty.

On replacing it, I didn't actually look for a Bosch. But since it's an odd size, was the only one I could find locally. And a premium Bosch type.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Ah so there is a reason for putting them back there. Another could be a very slight change in weight distribution, especially for those stupid RWD cars with the engine at the other end to the driving wheels.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Precisely calculated expiry, so German of them.

The cheap ones seem to have the same capacity per size, and are cheaper, and last just as long.

The same is not true of Li Ion batteries, the cheap ones are a rip off with way less chemical in them, and aren't the capacity they claim. I guess if you did that with Lead Acid, it would be obvious you'd been fiddled when you picked it up.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey