Re: car battery explosions, was: Why are Li Ion UPSs so expensive?

On 11/01/2020 06:06 AM, Commander Kinsey wrote: > I wonder who or what bauersecure.com is, we've both ended up linking to > them now, presumably from a google images search. I can't find them > anywhere, and they don't seem to have an IP listed for bauersecure.com > without anything before i

$whois bauersecure.com Domain Name: BAUERSECURE.COM Registry Domain ID: 1509109861_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.rrpproxy.net Registrar URL:
Updated Date: 2020-09-09T11:10:00Z Creation Date: 2008-07-18T13:26:56Z Registry Expiry Date: 2021-07-18T13:26:56Z Registrar: Key-Systems GmbH Registrar IANA ID: 269 Registrar Abuse Contact Email: snipped-for-privacy@key-systems.net Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +49.68949396850

> From an engineering standpoint I like the transverse engine FWD design. >> All the stuff is in one place turning in the same direction. > > I can't remember seeing an engine the other way round. I think the old > Morris Marinas were that way, they had a very long bonnet.

Like I said VW's first attempt at FWD was not the most successful design. It wasn't the car's fault but when the 55 mph national speed limit went into effect in '74 it really didn't have the gearing to deal with it. 55 was way down in the power curve in 4th so you had to downshift to get over a mouse turd.

Purely personal but while the 'ergonomic' bucket seats certainly appeared luxurious after about an hour it was the most uncomfortable damn thing I've ever sat it.

Some of the new Audis look really nice but I still have bad memories.

Reply to
rbowman

Hmmm.... "Key-Systems offers a wide range of products and services related to the domain business."

With the weight that far forwards, braking hard would do an endo.

If you don't know what an endo is:

What was the speed limit before then?

As Martin Clunes (a British comedian) once said in an interview, "I don't have a Recaro arse".

VW are cheaper.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Oh bullshit. I still have mine and it handles that fine.

More bullshit.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

I've been known to pull a wheelie a time or two but I'll leave the endos to the kiddies. I'm all to familiar with the 6 to 8 weeks bones take to knit. Except ribs. Those suckers take forever.

It varied by the state, with the western states having a higher limit. iirc Massachusetts, Vermont, and New York were 65, and New Hampshire was

  1. They wouldn't bother you a 5 over and with reasonable care you could cruise at 90-100. The Audi was happy at 75-80.

When the national speed limit went into effect the cops were really pissy for six months or so, longer in some states. I didn't pay close attention to the mpg figures but I wouldn't be surprised if the Audi used more fuel at 55. An 1.8 liter cc engine needs to be in its sweet spot. otoh, my Lincoln had a 7 liter engine and wasn't fussy.

Ain't that the truth. If you matched the generic model it might have been fantastic. I was more comfortable in the Sprite which was as ergonomic as a lawn chair. It was amusing watching me unfold myself from the little bugger though.

When I bought the Audi all VW had was the Beetle and Type 3 (1500/1600). The first gen 100LS was a shot at the BMW/Merc market. In Audi's genealogy it became the A6 but I'd say it was closer to the A4.

VW tried sort of a parallel with the Phaeton but that was a dud in the US. In fact none of the VW models are strong. The Golf, Taureg, and Tiguan have sales but can't compete with the Japanese models. The local dealer focuses mainly on the Taureg.

Reply to
rbowman

You have a '71 100LS? Amazing.

Reply to
rbowman

That wasn?t VW's first attempt at FWD,

Reply to
Fred

And? Do you or do you not own an Audi 100LS? Or do you have a K70? If you have neither, how do you know how well it operates at 55? Supposing you even have one, have you driven it in hilly country where any significant grade required a downshift?

Reply to
rbowman

So your original was always bullshit.

Irrelevant to your original bullshit.

That wasn?t VW's first attempt at FWD either.

More bullshit and yes I have driven VW's first attempt at FWD in hilly country.

Reply to
Fred

Which original was that?

How about relevant to your bullshit.

Was that an Audi 100Ls that I was talking about?