Why are torx screws so expensive?

Pack of PZ2 screws, 10. Pack of identical screws, but with a torx head, 50. WTF?
Also why are there so many different types of head these days? Time was there were just slots, then Phillips then the dam burst and posi and all sorts of fancy heads were used. A poor person needs a pocket full of screwdriver blades these days. grump. Brian
--
----- --
Agreed. And we don't need 50 different sizes either. Small medium and large would do fine. To change a part on my car I often need a 12mm, 13mm, 14mm, and 15mm spanner. Why make them all slightly different, even on the same vehicle?

Because a stupid frog 'designed' it that way.
Not true of my cars.

Problem is the license cost with the new one.
And with the weird ones on appliances, its to make it harder for technoklutzes to open it because they are too stupid to have a proper set of bits to use.

nd

even

Funny how all socket sets have everything from 4mm to 20mm in 1mm increments.

more

old

A license for a shape, WTF?
Anyway, come on, a pack of 100 screws - 10 for Pozi and 50 for Torx. That's way too much for a license.

So don't they pay licenses?

was

all

On Mon, 27 Jan 2020 17:31:23 -0000

No, they don't.

You must have got the Mickey Mouse version. Even the cheapest one I bought is in a crappy plastic tray with a row of sockets of each and every size.
On Monday, 27 January 2020 17:31:26 UTC, Commander Kinsey wrote:
rote:

ven

nts.

ore

old

r Torx. That's way too much for a license.
Probably supply and demand torx are good but mostly not needed. How about allen keys and hex and then there's security torx, I think those 'new' trianglaur ones are worse as they are used when someone doesn't want you to open something up.

m> wrote:

m and

mm,

t, even

rements.

ch more

the old

Torx. That's way too much for a license.

They bloody are, how many times have you burred a pozi?

But security torx will also operate on torx. Might aswell just make all the bits with the hole in the middle.

meone doesn't want

Triwing. Do they really think we don't have Ebay? Bloody hell you can even buy specific ones to open a Playstation 4 or whatever.
wrote

Plenty of the general public just look at it and don't bother opening that appliance.

But plenty don't bother to buy one,
On Wednesday, 29 January 2020 19:52:08 UTC, Commander Kinsey wrote:
rote:

and

m,

, even

ements.

h more

he old

for Torx. That's way too much for a license.

Not many, and usually when I've used crap drivers, or phillips rather than pozi. I've got Torx from T1 to T30
using the correct tool for the job helps too.

the bits with the hole in the middle.
Which will negate the idea behind security torx.

eone doesn't want

ven buy specific ones to open a Playstation 4 or whatever.
of course you can buy them and yuop can buy bolt cutters too. So what is the point of putting padlocks on suitcases when you go on holida y. You don't even need a SDS drill to get through most suitcases.

m> wrote:

.com> wrote:

dium and

12mm,

rent, even

increments.

much more

d, the old

or Torx. That's way too much for a license.

than pozi.

Or you're trying to use self tapping screws to self tap. They don't, you need to pilot drill, which isn't always possible, or is too much hassle.

Be more specific.

all the bits with the hole in the middle.

The idea has already failed, because I can buy security torx bits without signing some sort of agreement or having a criminal background check.

someone doesn't want

an even buy specific ones to open a Playstation 4 or whatever.

oliday.

I think you'd get stopped if you walked onto a train with bolt cutters. Those are large.
wrote

But battery mini angle grinders arent.
One silly pom cow here doesn't like the idea that the emergency door release on our latest trains in Sydney can be overridden by the main train control center so the emergency release does nothing and carrys a battery powered angle grinder with her at all times just in case the train derails and she needs to cut her way out of the train.
On Thursday, 6 February 2020 16:01:21 UTC, Commander Kinsey wrote:
rote:

com> wrote:

ium and

12mm,

ent, even

ncrements.

much more

, the old

?50 for Torx. That's way too much for a license.

han pozi.

Not had a problem with them, although I do use a centre punch first.

oo much hassle.
Not if you want to do it right.

if I know it;s a torx screw I try to find out what size, and then pick the appropriate driver from my T1 to T30 set.

ll the bits with the hole in the middle.
That would make them more expensive and mean experone would have to buy the more expensive drivers, what's the point (pun intended)

signing some sort of agreement or having a criminal background check.
Most won't realise and it's only a first step measure. we had load of mice go missing from the PC's but we had security screws on our mace mice and none went missing and they were more expensive. So it worked for us.

someone doesn't want

n even buy specific ones to open a Playstation 4 or whatever.

liday.

Those are large.
Not if you're a memebr of staff or wear a high viz jacket you won't.
Well, not sure about that as there may well be a special tool that reaches difficult to get at screw heads, and if they change the head they need to make a new tool.
Brian
--
----- --
Not sure what you mean. We currently have 20 sizes of each of about 5 heads. Really not necessary.

Because things keep getting better and once the new processes are place to do philips, its easy to do even better.

Once the new processes are in place to do philips, its easy to do better than philips.

But its so cheap to have the lot.

You're a luddite |-(

On 27/01/2020 14:50, Commander Kinsey wrote:

It's a rip-off. Otherwise they would not be so popular on automotive plastic panels.

Eh? Surely the car companies don't want to buy expensive screws either.