Finding compatible replacement alternator

For '88 JLG 40H with Wisconsin VG4D air-cooled engine. JLG says got to engine manufacturer; near as can tell it would be a YB46D.

Existing one was manufactured by Prestolite; unfortunately, the data was not embossed but printed on a sticker; the labels were permanently printed, the data not so much--nothing at all legible left.

It is, 12V, I think 20A. It has three output posts; +/GND and a third labeled AC output. The latter was not being used; just interesting -- not sure what that would have been.

There seem to be references that New Holland used the Wisconsin engine quite a bit; Clare seems I also recollect you mentioning grandfather(?) used to have such...

You have ideas on crossing presuming this one does indeed test that is dead?

--

Reply to
dpb

If you live near a decent sized city there will be a place that rebuilds starters and alternators. Take it to them and have them rebuild it. Check Google and Yellow pages. I have two within 10 miles of me.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I think my Dad's mid 1940s Minneapolis Moline combine had it. I think that set up eventually became New Holland's uni system. They were made to be pickers, combines, maybe balers. It was intended to be easy to switch from one to the other. I think we had a Ditch Witch trencher that had one. I want to say an R65 or possibly R40 trenchers. We did have one on a vibratory plow. This might help accidentally:

Dean Hoffman

Maybe he could take it to the local NAPA auto parts store and say find me one. Make it someone else's problem.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

The nearest town of 8,000 people has three auto parts stores including a NAPA.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

All the VG4 engines I worked on had generators but I'd be looking at a one wire delcotron as a replacement today - REALLY easy to make a new mounting bracket to make it fit and no issues with regulators and difficult wiring. That said, send me pictures and I will give you an idea what you have - - -

Reply to
Clare Snyder

At least 6 plus the warehouse within 25Km here

Reply to
Clare Snyder

They have two, maybe six, in Baltimore. Yelp lists 6 or 7, but NAPA itself only lists two when I enter Baltimore, md. OTOH, when I enter my zipcode, because it's easy to type, it finds none. I think it should list those nearby.

There was one a mile from me that 10 years ago moved another mile or two away, but I guess it's not still there. Neither page listed it.

We also have PAPA here. Is that a nationwide chain?

Reply to
micky

Yeah, that'll be my first stop at the "magneto shop" which tells how long it's been around. If he can get what needs that'll be the ticket.

Not sure whether can or not so figured see if anybody did know of a cross...

NAPA is now like all the others -- if they can't look up something in the computer, they're worthless.

There is still one independent auto parts outlet in town that the owner has been around a long time and actually knows something; none of the rest including the local NAPA where have the account are anything more than HS part-time clerks or similar.

--

Reply to
dpb

This is an alternator and in 1988 I'd presume that was original -- somebody retrofitted it with a set of solid-state points at some time, though.

At least it isn't the old flywheel version but a conventional belt unit.

Am now down to only the '58 Chevy C60 that still has generator...

Reply to
dpb

Another possible source of parts advice - find an old-timer at the equipment rental company or used-farm machines and ask where they get / got their parts back-in-the-day when these older machines were common .. just a thought. John T.

Reply to
hubops

Do those still exist for vehicle alternators in the age of China, high labor costs here, etc? I know I looked at seeing if anyone would rebuild a Generac 12KW alternator and the couple places I called would not.

Reply to
trader_4

We've still go a "magneto shop" who does a stuff for oilfield mostly; they apparently still have a lot of need.

I don't know whether he'll be able to do anything for this one yet or not, I'll run it into town today and see what he says...can always hope.

Reply to
dpb

I had also run across that page -- searching there finds nothing but pieces for the flywheel generators. If all else fails locally I'll contact them and see if can help.

Used to be a lot of them on NG in oilpatch around here but no longer. I stopped in at a couple of the supply houses previously looking for other parts and they no longer had any sources--one still had the old paper catalogs to look up references, but the distributors are now all gone or it's all marked obsolete/NLA.

I did find and buy to have on hand the carb rebuild kit (new diaphragm, mainly) "just in case".

--

Reply to
dpb

Check Ebay. Search either Wisconsin or Ditch Witch alternator. There are some results.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

On 11/1/2020 8:11 PM, Clare Snyder wrote: ...

Well, Mr. Magneto said he's really busy, but it's at the shop...we'll see if I end up actually having to cross it or whether he can resurrect it.

Said same thing I did -- "Hate these manufacturers who put the product stickers on but then don't use something permanent for the data!" :)

Reply to
dpb

Likely the same alternator used on late sixties AMC car or international truck - - -

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Why is it that this particular model is so important? Can't any alternator work, or any one that requires an external regulator (plus you'd need to get a regulator). Surely those are not hard to get. There are 3 connections to the current one, output, ground, and what, Field, from the regulator. So installation should be clear.

The subject line says "compatible". Doesn't that mean compatible with the engine? Not identical to the previous alternator.

Reply to
micky

On 11/3/2020 12:57 AM, micky wrote: ...

Mechanical form factor besides...don't want to have to refab mounting, etc., to match up belt location, etc., etc., ... either.

And, there's very little room to spare to be able to get it in place without having to pull the whole machine right-hand cover--which is doable and have done, but it's a lot of work.

Had to pull the coil mounting bracket to get it out as is; that required removing the engine shroud because the bracket is fastened to the shroud with a through bolt instead of being a stud so had to get behind it to hold the nut. Removing the coil but leaving the bracket wasn't enough...

Reply to
dpb

I can see all that. I'd react the same way.

I can see that too. I thought it was getting to the point where you couldn't use the machine at all.

Reply to
micky