Are old Style Velux windows compatible with today's flashing kits?

I was given a 15-year old 114 x 118 GGL velux window that had been sitting in someone's garage boxed for 15 years and have had it just installed. The companion flashing kit outside says it is for Slates but the insides clearly have Clay Tile type kits (U4 - it think it is called in the old nomenclature whereas we need an L4 in the old nomenclature).

I can pick up a brand new 114 x 118 flashing kit (EDL S06) today for £35. But will it be compatible with the old Velux style window? No one is quite sure...

Many thanks

Reply to
TF

So long as the size is right then it ought to be ok... I guess there is only one certain way to find out!

Have you tried phoning Velux and asking them?

Reply to
John Rumm

I left a message with technical but they didn't return my call. The dealer suggested I try it and return if no go. My only concern is the profile of the newer windows is shallower but I guess we can set the Velux in so it is shallower (The old style fixes with L brackets so there is leeway)

Thing's been sitting in a cardboard box in someone's garage for 15 years. I got it FOC and it was a size I wanted and its still in perfect condition!

Reply to
TF

THe ones I installed recently were Colt rather than Velux - although from a cursory look the seem to be much the same sort of design. On my ones there was a rubberised "skirt" that runs all the way round the perimiter of the frame under the actuall opening sash. To install the flashing kit you simply folded this skirt up, so that the edges of the flashing could touch the side of the frame, and then tucked it back down over the flashing. If yours is the same, then the implication of the new lower profile window design would be that the upstand on the flashing would be a little shorter, and might not reach as far under the skirt. So long as it is long enough to get under the skirt a little bit though you should be ok.

If the dealer is happy to ley you try a new kit and return if need be then that seems to be a good way forward. If you find it is a pretty close fit but not quite, you could use flashband to extend the flashing kit.

Reply to
John Rumm