Velux windows

Is it necessary to apply for planning permission to fit a Velux window in the roof?

TIA

Reply to
John

Sometimes yes, Sometimes no.

Reply to
dom

Aha, it's one of those type of things is it?

Well it's a long story which I won't bore you with but let's just say that I've been informed that (and I quote) "only Cambridge council require planning permission require planning permission to install Velux windows in roofs; everywhere else is ok" (unquote).

Can you (or anyone else) expand on your answer in the light of that quote?

TIA John

Reply to
John

I think what snipped-for-privacy@gglz.com is trying to say is that it depends on whether, inter alia:

The window is visible from the road The area is picturesque (e.g. in a conservation area) The window is going to be an eyesore

I doubt very much that any of this is peculiar to Cambridge. Why not ring them or look at their website?

Cheers

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

Thanks Another Dave. I'm not actually in Cambridge (probably about 300 miles away actually) so looking at their website/calling them wouldn't do me any good.

I can't actually say why I need the information but suffice it to say that someone is trying to wriggle out of something, and their excuse was to say that only Cambridge council require planning permission to install Velux windows in the roof. All I really need to know is, is this true or not and/or are there situations where planning permission will be required (which I think both you and Dom have probably answered).

Cheers,

John

Reply to
John

The full answer is it depends on the full facts - if you're not giving them, then we can't answer.

Even then, there are no definitive rules that state whether or not a planning application will be required - only guidelines. There's certainly no blanket permitted development rights concerning Velux windows.

The statement about Cambridge is incorrect.

Reply to
dom

I asked for help and I appreciate and am certainly thankful to anyone who takes the time and effort to reply. However, I cannot give you the full facts, and even if I could, it wouldn't help you because nothing I have been told and/or could pass on to you, is to do with building/roofing as such.

All I can say, and indeed all I have been told, is that "Person A" is trying to wriggle out of something and when asked why, his justification was that planning permission is not required in order to fit Velux windows in a roof. He also stated that the only place where planning permission *is* required to put Velux windows in a roof was Cambridge (or, more correctly, said that Cambridge Council were the only people who required planning permission be sought).

As I don't know whether this is correct or not, I thought that there must be people here in this DIY newsgroup who had fitted (or had them fitted) Velux windows in the past and could confirm or deny that planning permission must be granted to install Velux windows in a roof.

I'm not asking the question with a view to fitting Velux windows myself or with respect to any particular area of the country. All I need to know, in a Land's End-to-John O'Groats, general sort of way, is, has anyone ever needed to get planning permission to fit Velux windows in a roof?

Reply to
John

I read my local (West Norfolk) council's advice on velux windows - this said "planning permission is often not required" for them, but recommended that the public should make an informal enquiry to be certain.

I did this, and they then suggested that as my "informal enquiry" was sufficiently detailed - it could be used to apply for a variation in my existing planning application. This they did for me - and I got a letter back granting permission.

So as I said earlier - it depends.

Reply to
dom

I don't live anywhere near Cambridge, probably hundreds of miles away but do live in a conservation area. I didn't need planning permission, neither did neighbours. The windows are in the front and rear, south (front) facing and north (rear). A building company fitted mine but not as part of a loft extension or room, which would require planning permission.

Reply to
Ian

OK, cheers mate,

John

Reply to
John

Can I just ask how you knew you didn't need planning permission?

Reply to
Grumps

Thanks Ian

Reply to
John

You do need permission here (conservation area in Midlothian). No problem at the rear of the houses, you won't get permission for the front.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === ==== Jack Campin, 11 Third St, Newtongrange EH22 4PU, Scotland == mob 07800 739 557 CD-ROMs and free stuff: Scottish music, food intolerance, and Mac logic fonts

Reply to
Jack Campin - bogus address

Thanks very much Jack,

John