Velux Windows

I'm having a Velux window installed as part of some roofing work soon and the roofer has asked me to buy it.

The Velux catalogue is pretty straightforward, but they don't sell direct. So..

1) Does anyone know if there's an approved dealer network. I'd rather not just pick an advert out of Google. Alternatively has anyone bought one from a supplier they'd recommend. The Velux website amazingly doesn't have a phone number.

2) The window is going in to a single storey bathroom. The roof is slate and the property is old (1700-1800) but not listed or in a conservation area. Do I need permission to fit it? (and I am putting in obscured glass, before you point out the problems of being overlooked).

3) I was thinking of pushing the boat out and getting an electric one with rain sensitive whatsits etc.. anyone got one of these.

4) Is Velux the best brand - anything else I should be considering?

thanks

Simon

Reply to
Bitstreams

Velux is by far the best. Unless you have an account with a builders, or roofing supplies, then youll get one from B&Q. But you will have to order it, if you want obscured glass and electric opperated. Make sure you get the correct flahing kit for slate EDL. Havent you asked the roofing guy where to get one from.?

Reply to
keith_765

Not that I know of. I'd just go for the best deal you can find - it will be the same item whereever you get it from.

You might need planning permission, especially if it's overlooking the street. You should check with your local council planning dept, as rules vary considerably.

AFAIK a roof window doesn't come under the same rules as ordinary windows - for which you'd need a FENSA certificate or building regs approval - does anyone know for sure? But if so, then that's another hoop for you to jump through.

David

Reply to
Lobster

why not, its the same product in the same box packed in the same factory? Go for the best price you can find.

You need to decide whether you want EDL or EDN flashing and middle or top hung opening.

Probably not but if in doubt ask your planning dept.

You may find that the roof window isn't as vulnerable to overlooking the action as you fear. If it is, plain glass and a velux blind may suffice.

bit of overkill for obscure glass in a bathroom.

Yes

Jim A

Reply to
Jim Alexander

Go for top hung rather than middle hung then you can

- get out in an emergency

- look out of the window without being hit....if its at 'looking out' height

Anna

Reply to
Anna Kettle

We have two electric Velux windows, one of which also has an external shutter blind. Wonderful. Fantastic. Would definitely do it again. Would definitely not fit a manual one.

The electric ones are a pleasure to use, no searching for a pole, just press a button. They are a bit noisey as the motor operates though which could be an issue if it bothers you.

The rain sensor forces the window closed when it's raining (obviously) but also when it's foggy or just a bit drizzly. That has the massive advantage that you can go out leaving the window open and not worry about a flood if it rains. OTOH it does mean you can't have the window open, even on trickle ventillation, if it decides it's too wet. Often in the summer the sound of a Velux closing in the distance results in one of us tearing into the garden shouting "get the washing in"...

We have an external shutter blind on the one in our bedroom and it's totally effective at blocking the light. It also keeps the noise down during heavy rain (the rain hits the shutter not the glass). Another advantage is that it's possible to open the window with the shutter closed and get ventillation as well as screening, important for us on a south facing roof.

Velux windows arrive very well packaged and they are ideal box-shifter material, buy them from anywhere that's cheapest. Generally BMs are OK dealing with the public now, go during the week and in the middle of the day, not Saturday or right on closing time or early in the morning when they're busy with the builders. I use Ridgeons in the South East but also Jewson and TP - all are happy to deal with non- trade and can be pursuaded to offer discounts.

Velux instructions are mostly pictorial, simple and straightforward - even a builder can follow them! There really isn't anything complicated about them.

Anything I've missed? Oh yes, as others have said, do you really need obscured glass? What a shame.

Reply to
Calvin

Then it'll be your fault if something goes wrong with it or it doesn't fit the hole.

Get the roofer to supply and fit then any problems are his fault and he can't pass the buck.

Is the roofer trying to keep his turnover below the VAT threshold?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

In message , Bitstreams writes

Hi,

I had two arrive yesterday. I ordered them from Travis Perkins, they retail at £299+vat but got them at £199+vat after some whining ;-)

Regarding the 'top hung' thing, some are available as top hung with centre pivot for cleaning (ie GHL). They're hinged at the top for normal opening but with the flick of a catch can be spun 180 degrees through the centre to have the outside glass cleaned from inside.

Getting the right flashing kit is important, they're based on the height profile of your tiles (or lack of with slate!). The low profile flashing kit is EDZ I think. Take a look on velux.com for info.

Depending on the type of roof, you may need to supplement the ventilation across the rafters. Ventilation is usually provided eave to eave across and under the ridge. Where you install the window you will have blocked that ventilation in those rafters.

I spoke to a number of builder mates about roof windows, and they were all quite adamant on two counts....

- Buy Velux. Don't even think about cheaper alternatives

- Get someone who has fitted them before.

Hth Bill

Reply to
somebody

Velux windows now have a 'gear shift' which changes the pivot point between top and centre. Normally they pivot at the top, but if you pull the trickle vent right open it changes to a centre pivot. This gives easy access to the whole of the outside pane for cleaning (which I believe is now a standard requirement).

By standing on a stepladder, a reasonably compact person can also get at the roof above the window, which is impossible to reach through a top-pivoted window.

The only problem I've had with a Velux in a very small shower room is condensation on the wood frame, which gets relatively cool in winter. In spite of the varnish, this has caused a small amount of watermarking in the grain. Had I known, I would have added extra sealing coats of varnish on those inside surfaces.

One more thing: even without the window part, Velux frames are bloody heavy to install! To do it under complete control and avoid bashing the nice pine, the larger sizes will probably need two people on two roof ladders, as well as muscle to support it from the inside.

Reply to
Ian White

On Nov 14, 2:18 pm, Bitstreams

Usually you don't need PP if it's goign at the rear of the property, but you might want to check. ...or just fit it and wait for someone to complain.

Reply to
adder1969