Velux window stuck

The Velux window in my attic got stuck in the almost-closed position. It seems immovable because one of the locking pins is jammed behind the strike plate. Is there a trick to releasing the catches or am I going to have to saw though the metal pins and fit new locks?

In case it's relevant: the window hadn't been opened for over a year and yesterday I decided to give it a spring clean, vacuum out all the crud etc. It was a bit stiff (okay, very stiff) after not having been used for all that time and when I pushed it up to lock it back again, it didn't quite go all the way. That's when I saw the state of the pins.

I don't know the model number: I think the label with the details is on the bit of the frame I can't access but it is a completely manual operation with two window catches - one of which looks as if it might have closed correctly and one which definitely has not.

Any suggestions before I get out my padsaw?

Thanks,

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

<fx:Tumbleweed blows down Main Street....>

So: have I really stumped the panel with this one?[1]

Or is Eternal September not propagating again?

Or am I in everybody's kill file?

If anyone has any ideas (apart from taking the roof off to get at it) I'd be really keen to hear about them before I do any damage.

Thanks,

Nick [1]I checked the Wiki (thank you John!!!) and couldn't find anything there either.

Reply to
Nick Odell

I suspect that without pictures is just rather hard for anyone to be in a better position than yourself to work out what?s needed.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

It's such a long time ago I played with a Velux window I really can't help. I seem to recall that virtually everything is inaccessible when closed.

Are there any diagrams on the Velux website to give a clue?

Reply to
Fredxx

Stumped, I guess.

I looked on the German site of Velux, on the assumption that it might have different information than the site you looked at. German DIY forums no help, either...

The site requires the model number, or model and year, and includes detailed instructions on where to find this information -- right there on the edge of the frame...

Can you loop a wire over the pin and yank it down/free?

(I'm assuming a width-of-window thing that folds down, opening an air vent...)

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

I overlooked the original ... WD40 and a bendy straw?

Reply to
Andy Burns

I'm sure this thread didn't appear for me until well after 31/3, which is strange.

Reply to
Andrew

Pliers and an allen key?

How to open a broken uPVC window lock

Nick, is there a video already on youtube, or an image somewhere that shows what these pins / strike plate look like?

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

This video shows the type of fitting:

It's a centre-pivot window. Mine has two locking plates, one on each side at the top, but the window is not the type which you may see in other videos where the push-rod just snaps off with the help of a tool: mine needs to be unscrewed like the one in this vid.

I can't find a picture of my actual striking plate but it is an older, metal version of this one:

for pre-2014 windows. I think all the replacements - both the new design and the old - are made of plastic nowadays.

Essentially, the locking pins seem to be guided between the two channels in the strike plate and snap into a locked position until the handle is used to snap it back out again. It looks as if there is too much clearance between the window and the frame and - combined with wear on the pins and the guides - it has enabled the pins to get stuck behind the strike plate.

I think I'm going to try and make up a low-profile right-angled screwdriver and try to remove the ventilation panel but suggestions about how to proceed afterwards - or any other suggestions - are always welcome!

Thanks,

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell