HSS BSW taps - source?

Apologies for starting a thread that's related to DIY, rather than another OT thread of the sort which increasingly appear here ...

I've just broken my last 3/16 BSW taper tap so need to get a couple more. From experience there's a lot of junk out there, and the dormer brand is too expensive. Can anyone recommend a source of good quality HSS taps at a sensible price?

Reply to
nothanks

The only place I have ever found stuff like that is eBay. Nothing wrong with a s/h tap that's likely never been used.

Reply to
Fredxx

It's a very long time since I bought a sigle tap but then I used Tracy tools.

Also a quick search shows

show some 3/16 BSW

BTW what is Whitform I see mentioned on the Tracy site?

Reply to
AJH

A Whitform thread is one with 55 degrees and general spec of a Whitworth thread.

AF and metric is 60 degrees.

Reply to
Fredxx

Thanks, but there's no shortage of people selling taps and dies. I'm trying to find something between cheap taps made from chineseium and something that costs £40. I'd forgotten about Tracy Tools and they used to have an excellent reputation - in the absence of other recommendations I'll give them a go.

Reply to
nothanks

I'd say the best way is to buy from a firm with a decent reputation. The majority likely do come from the far east - and with all that sort of stuff ranges in quality from rubbish to excellent.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News