Cat6 unshielded with mains power?

I've an opportunity to run mains power and CAT6 to a garden summerhouse. Can they run in the same conduit? One cable each in separate conduit? Get some shielded Cat6 and use that instead?

I already have unshielded CAT6 so would prefer to use that if possible.

Cheers Jon

Reply to
Jon Parker

No.

Yes. But if you're putting in once Cat6 put in another if not three more. They can share the same conduit. As can the mains. Cable is cheap, installing it isn't.

Interference isn't the problem, CAT6 insulation isn't mains rated.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Thanks Dave, perfect answer.

Reply to
Jon Parker

They can only run in the same conduit if both cables are mains voltage rated, I've not seen any 230V cat5, but there is this

Beware that one type has a single data pair (no use for ethernet) and another type has four pairs.

Reply to
Andy Burns

And quite surprisingly, toolsatan sell it by the metre (no conduit required direct burial for the SWA version)

or if you've got a conduit already, there's the hi-tuff version, except they're out of stock

Andy Burns

No, that was the single pair version, the cat5e hi-tuff is

Andy Burns

On 24/10/2020 11:38, Dave Liquorice wrote: ?

Switches are cheap, too.

Reply to
Pancho

Having more than one LAN and not wanting to use VPNs is cheap too.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

three

If you're thinking just bung in one cable and pop a switch on the end yes that works, provided the single cable doesn't fail. Should it do so you don't have a "spare" to quickly change to.

Replacement brings you straight back to where you are now, installing from scratch. Do not expect to be able to pull a new cable through (or the old one out) of the conduit unless it is dead straight and you have access at any bends. You *might* be able to if you can find a proper cable pulling lubricant but I wouldn't like to bet on it.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Do you mean VLAN rather than VPN? But I'm not sure I recognise the use case?

Reply to
Pancho

I should imagine LANs (plural) over seperate cables rather than VPNs over a single cable.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I recently did some cable pulling, electric ring circuit, I used talc, it seemed to work, but I had meant to ask here if it was a good idea.

I take the point about failure, but will counter with the "you ain't going to need it" maxim. Cables are reliable. In the future cat 6 will probably be replaced by fibre or wifi. If I wanted to be future proof I would ensure the conduit could have new cable pulled though it.

Reply to
Pancho

Or even WLAN?

Reply to
Fredxx

Yes, a VLAN is a work around when you only have one cable and want subnet separation (or whatever the proper term is for ensuring no route between the subnets).

Reply to
Pancho

Yes I mean VLAN and I can't afford switches that support it, let alone the time to configure them. It's not my use case, but a good one would be to isolate IoT members.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

In which case, use a decent sized duct, maybe 70mm, swept bends and leave some nylon cord in it. I don't know what is in cable pulling lubricants but people say they make a big difference, Talc is very unpopular nowadays, as it is thought to have quite a lot of long term toxicity, but I suppose it wouldn't matter if both ends are sealed, as they should be.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

silicone oil, amongst other things ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

"Branches open as normal, Including WALES" :-), Up yours Mark Drakeford

Reply to
Andrew

"Minimum operating temperature -15C".

Could be tricky in parts of Scotland if surface mounted.

Interesting that the weight is quoted as Kilograms per Kilometre. The voltage drop would be a bit excessive if your garden was that long !

Reply to
Andrew

You must be skint then:

is filling in a box on a web interface.