Tacking cat6 cable to walls

Son's cabling initiative continues to throw up questions.

He has got the hall back to bare brick and blockwork, with the intention of getting all the CAT6 cables into place and then employing a good plasterer to finish the walls over the top. My suggestions of plastic ducting have been rebuffed.

The cables have to go round a few corners and along lengths of wall, so we need to tack them in place for the time between the cabling and the plastering. It's moderately dusty.

My only thought is to use hot melt glue gun to tack the cables on, but is there anything better? It has to be very quick drying

Reply to
Bill

Cat6a I hope...

Capping would be advisable then. Otherwise there is a risk of the plaster's trowel slashing a cable.

Personally I *would* use 20mm round conduit if possible to lose in the plaster depth. Ask him when Cat3 was being installed as the latest greatest thing (hint mid 90's). People were still slinging 10base2 around back then too.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Why not use capping as used to cap mains and other cables running in plaste rwork, put up in minutes and no waiting to set. At the same time install ba ck boxes for the faceplates with the RJ45 sockets. You will probably need 3

5mm deep boxes to accommodate the shielded sockets I believe are used for C AT6.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

En el artículo , Bill escribió:

You'll never get hot melt glue to stick to dusty bricks. How many cables is he running? It'll be a nightmare if more than a couple.

Isn't there a suspended floor he can run the cables under?

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Dunno if this will suit, but I've recently done a neat little cabling job over finished plaster using plastic square section ducting hot-glued in a channel routed in a strip of softwood. Looks better than just tacking the conduit itself to the wall, it's easier with a few screws to mount the wood, and the wires can be pulled out at a later date without much fuss.

Photo is install actually in a cupboard, but ye get the idea...

I'm planning a whole stylish looking vertical column of them for a later wall mount TV.

Reply to
Adrian C

Your son is a plonker then !

How in the future is he going to avoid damaging cables with picture mountings etc ? They should be sheathed in some protection, and run like mains wires either vertically or horizontally from connection points so that their location can be surmised.

I say again - your son is a plonker!

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

In message , Andrew Mawson writes

Thanks to everyone for the useful replies.

I have passed them all, including Andrew's, to my son.

Reply to
Bill

Tell him from me that he's a fathead.

Does bend radius matter for this sort of cable? Might also be something to consider.

Reply to
Tim Streater

you can.

How many

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Will it slow down the data speed if the cable has to turn a corner?

Reply to
ARW

The good plasterer will get the blame for your son's poor workmanship "if" the cables fail to work.

Is this dot and dab or a proper plastering job?

Reply to
ARW

Unwise. But put the cables outside the conduit, and just string in it. Less work at recable time, and you can leave the then old cat6 in for other jobs - and much increased cabling of houses looks inevitable in future.

Now I remember what I did - this was yrs ago - held it in place with tape, a bit precariously, then dobbed plaster on every so often to hold it.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Not the speed but possibly the rate.

Reply to
Tim Streater

You can take liberties with UTP cable without affecting performence.

Reply to
Graham.

Is that mains cabling running parallel to and very close to the network cable ?. If so, then you should use google to see how it should be done to avoid crosstalk.

Mains cable needs to be quite a few inches away from CAT6 and if they must get any closer then make sure they cross at right angles.

There is also the added complication of Part P which I believe covers network and low voltage stuff in 'critical' areas, like kitchens.

Another Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

I've done this with cat 5 - just plastered it in. Its fine.

The general rule is that all cables should arrive at their sockets either 100% vertically or 100% horizontally. Any gibbon that does work expects that to be where cables are buried.

Capping and so on makes no difference unless its steel. You still drill or nail through it. I've seen copper pipe nailed into. Done it myself too.

The way I held it in was with angled pins into a chiselled groove. Then I skimmed over.

IN this case with brick/block, i'd use gobs on bonding plaster to hold the cable in. Maybe use duct tape or similar to tack it in place temporarily.

Or run an angle grinder up the wall to chase in a groove...and wedge it with matchsticks.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's more than 2 inches apart and not much of a run. 100Mbit connection between router and modem.

There is more of a calamity of cables below this computer desk breaking all those rules (part P? get outta here!), and no real life issues.

Reply to
Adrian C

In message , ARW writes

The main area was plywood "panelling" sheets on wall battens up to picture rail height. He has removed all the panelling, which was faded and jaded, and the battens. His decorative aim now is to get proper plastering done, which I understand involves a bonding layer, then one or 2 layers of plaster on top, at a thickness to match the plaster above where the picture rail was. There are all sorts of different materials in different areas. He has borrowed my router and I believe he has bought a chasing tool.

Reply to
Bill

They have always said that and I applaud you for mentioning it as it is the "correct way".

However, if you look in most datacentres, you will find mains and cat5e stuffed in trays, under the floor and more importantly, running 1m along server cable "arms" budble tight with 2-3 mains flexes where there is (in the arm case) no choice at all about having the cables separated and non parallel.

And it's never ever a problem.

Now, we are talking about Cat6a and a theoretical 10gig speed and I would have to say that I have never used this.

However, I will guarantee that when it does get run into the back of servers a lot, all of the above will still be true :)

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

And indeed if you are expecting to be able to slide a server forward in the rack, f'rinstance to add a disk, use of such a cable management arm is unavoidable. With power, fibre, cat5e, and possibly a low-speed serial cable all cheek by jowl.

Reply to
Tim Streater