Replace Rayburn Solid Fuel Cooker Firebrick

I have a Rayburn 200SF solid fuel cooker. The bottom firebrick are deeply p itted, and I think they should be replaced. I can buy the firebrick online, but I can find no instructions/information on DIY replacement. Also I have no idea whether it is possible to replace just the pitted bricks or whethe r all should be replaced at one time. Can anyone tell me whether this is a reasonable job for an average DIYer and/or point me to information on how t o go about the job? Many thanks for any assistance!

- Jim

Reply to
Jim Bowen

Decades since I refurbished a Rayburn and that was a total strip down and rebuild.

However I would suggest that you replace all the fire bricks and if you get any out intact regard them as a bonus as future spares.

If they are like normal solid fuel burners the fire bricks should come out relatively easily (for various values of easily) because they were probably shipped separately and installed when the stove was commissioned.

An installation manual for your stove would probably give fitting instructions.

Have you got one/ asked Rayburn for one/ Googled for one?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

Dunno if its of any use..

ss

In message , Jim Bowen writes

There are various installation manuals on the web, which seem to show initial installation, which should help. Just Google Rayburn installation manual.

Reply to
News

The firebricks fitted to Rayburn Cookers are of first quality manufacture, and providing the cooker has been installed and used correctly will have a reasonable life. They are, however, expendable items and in time will require renewal. The renewal of firebricks is not a major operation and can be carried out by the average person.

As I hopefully qualify as an average person, I suppose I should just order the bricks and cement and go for it. I was just hoping somewhere there was a little information so I could go into the job knowing what was going to h appen rather than having to figure out each step as I went along. Past expe rience tells me that kind of on-the-job training often ends up with the fir st job teaching me a lot while ending up with a less than perfect result. B ut if that's how it needs to be, so be it.

Reply to
Jim Bowen

Hello Jim Did you get those bricks replaced?

Reply to
julian ludowici

Reply to
Jim Bowen

The Manual says that they can be installed by the average person. No kore!

Reply to
Julian

Before replying to a 6 year old post through a broken website read this first.

After 6 years, I would hope so.

Reply to
Fredxx

Thanks Jim. I’ll have to try