Re: AGA solid fuel cooker (2023 Update)

Thanks The Natural Philosopher, ss and muddymike for your replies. I am in Kenya and have returned to the house I grew up in that has a 4 door (Model E?) charcoal burning AGA (which was abandoned for many years). I will need to do some work on it and re-learn how to run it at optimum efficiency. I found a copy of a booklet entitled "Aga Solid Fuel Deluxe Cookers Models C, CB, E (1956-2001)" but it does not give good instructions on recharging, vent control etc. If anyone can supply something a little more detailed I'd be truly grateful! The temperature gauge is missing (and probably the sensor) so I will need to find and install a new (?) or secondhand one. All the AGA tools are also missing.

Reply to
quentinluke1

That will be the one I have so you already have that now.

Reply to
ss

As others have said, the normal fuel was anthracite grains which is a hard high purity coal. I don?t know how easy this will be to find in Kenya. Given the lack of demand these days, I think you might have difficulties. I can?t see it working well with charcoal which has a much lower energy density and would need very regular recharging.

If you can?t find a supplier of anthracite I would look for a kit to convert it to oil if you?re very keen to keep it but the cost of that would probably buy several conventional cookers!

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Hello Everyone, As some of these posts are over 20 years old, this reply may not be useful; however we would have been extremely grate-ful (pardon the pun), for any information on our old 1955 AGA when we first inherited it. This response is for anyone in the unlikely position to have the misfortune of buying an old pile with an old solid fuelled AGA. AGA is a b'stard to start!!!!!!! AGA will run on nothing else but COKE. This may be what you in Blighty call anthracite but it is black coal that has been super heated but not ignited to 1500 degrees Celsius in order to drive off the volatile fractions of gas and any sulphur or other unwanted impurities. It is a smokeless fuel and as such produces very little residue when burned at optimum high temperature. We use metallurgic grade that we buy from the steelworks in Whyalla, here on the Eyre Peninsula in South Australia. Coke has an ignition temperature of about 700 Celsius, so is very difficult to light, as you all know. When we ring our coke dealer, we expect the police to knock on our door and book us for procuring illegal drugs. The only way we have been successful in lighting the blighter is by taking 'sickies' from work and setting up two fire cylinders outside in the wind. We make a mix of BBQ charcoal, fire lighters and small pieces of the coke. We light this and when it is lukewarm, we sit with it and feed it with slivers of wood until the fire has a cheery blaze. Then we get a gas weed-burner or a blowtorch and blast the bejingers out of it intermittently for an hour or so until it makes a particular roaring sound with enough energy for the coke to ignite. We also use the air compressor as a bellows but any bellows will work, even one of those cheap hand wound ones from eBay. When the canister content is red hot (hours later!!!!), it is carefully transported into the kitchen and poured in to the clean barrel of AGA. This is very important as the air must be able to pass freely through the grate always, or the fire chokes. Next phase is that the air hole under the fire box is stuffed with a woollen cloth, the round plug on the top plate is turned over and the rectangular flue base plate is opened slightly. (a note on this here: our AGA had been converted to run unsuccessfully on oil in the 1970s and as well as having the oil burner installed, it had also had this flue sealed up. In order to clean the flue, we had to remove the old sealant and free this cover up, revealing an oily dusty sooty mess that was the legacy of the ill-burning heating oil. This has been a 4 year learning curve for the two of us as there was no useful information on the web at the time, and any that was there was for British AGA users. The AGA dealer in Australia is in Melbourne, which is 1400km away from Tumby Bay where our farm is, and the owner of that store advised me to sell the AGA for scrap metal, rather than resurrect it. He also advised me to buy a new one for $26, 000 plus installation costs. Not sure if there was an agenda here, however, I digress. The next phase involves me lying on the kitchen floor with a hot air blower, poking slivers of kindling into the forks of the grate and blowing them white hot onto the bottom coals. I have used a blow torch for this too, however that nearly ended in disaster as the canister was faulty, I have nothing more to say on that subject, other than...............be very careful!!!!!! Some very nifty footwork of my husband Easy Iain, saved us from going up in smoke. I will never use a blowtorch like that again! Once the bottom coals are glowing, one can arise from the floor and start babying the fire from above every 15 minutes with the blower. It will be slowly getting warmer and eventually you will see the mercury moves to the left on the thermometer. This is the acid test, so to speak and your job then, is to carefully and slowly add a scoop of coke every 15 minutes or so until the top layer is also glowing. As you can imagine, the room will be covered in dust. Our coke is stored out in a huge basket cage made of reinforcing mesh, lined in shade-cloth. This is rinsed by a hose and the rain, to minimise dust. This has helped with the muck. I apologise for the length of this missive, nonetheless, I hope some poor devil finds some useful hints here.

Lucille Legge Lispon, South Australia

Reply to
Lucille Legge

No, coke isn’t anthracite. This is your problem. The Aga wasn’t designed to run on coke.

Why was it unsuccessful? Conversion to oil would seem to be your “least worst” option here. They can also be electrified.

Maybe a newer conversion kit would work?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Coke was the recommended fuel for the AGA I lived with in the 1960s.

Reply to
Robin

My parents used to run theirs on coke.

With coke it needed to be refuelled twice a day. With anthracite only once a day. I recall that another suitable fuel was phurnacite although I think this was in effect anthracite.

FYI they used to light it with a gas poker, although I can still remember the original installer used charcoal and that was almost 70 years ago.

The one thing I recall about the lighting process is that the circular caps in the hotplates needed to be inverted.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
David

We used "Phurnacite" - a compressed egg shaped block - seemingly just compressed coal dust. Nothing like coke.

Reply to
charles

Indeed.

I don't have the paperwork from the 1960s but my recollection is AGA said coke, anthracite or Phurnacite and the installer recommended coke as best combination of price and performance. Can't find a manual online from quick look. Don't hold out a politician as authoritative but FWIW:

"Mr. P. Noel-Baker

I am informed by the National Coal Board, who are the makers of Phurnacite, that they are doubling the plant capacity for its production, and that the new plant is expected to be ready early next year. Coke, which is plentiful in most districts, is a suitable alternative for nearly all cooking stoves, and I am advised that the Aga cooker was designed to burn coke."

Robin

<snipped stuff>

If it's a bugger to start using coke, why not get it going with anthracite, and once it's going nicely, start to feed it with coke.

One of the benefits of anthracite in general is that it's very low in ash, almost pure carbon in fact.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I believe the Royal Navy reserved much of the South Wales anthracite for their dreadnoughts ?120 years ago

Reply to
Andrew

Nearly, it was Steam Coal which is the normally regarded as the grade below anthracite, one of its characteristics is that it breaks into smaller pieces while being burn’t in a furnace or firebox which is allows a greater air to surface ratio and a quicker response if a demand for more steam occurs. Antracite while being of a higher calorific value is a fuel more suited to slower use and is harder to to get more to ignite quickly should a larger fire be required, It is also cleaner so was more popular in domestic use, the Navy and the Railways put up with the dust and ash of steam coal because it was a trade off for its better burning qualities for their purposes but in the case of the Navy the era of large coal burning ships was fairly short with Churchill as First Sea Lord deeming the switch to oil desirable before WW1. The company that eventually would became BP drawing from reserves in Persia ,later Iran had a government majority shareholding to ensure oil supplies for the Navy . The Railways continued to be filthy until the mid 1960’s as it wasn’t deemed to be politically and financially desirable post WW2 to replace home produced coal with imported oil for a conversion to Diesel traction.

GH

Reply to
Marland

I recall my grandparent's Aga being lit with a gas poker back in the 1960s.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris
<snip>

A little puzzled because we used to run our open fire on coke, and it was straightforward to light.

That was a long time ago, though, when the gas supply was Town Gas made from the volatile components in coal.

IIRC coke was what was left after the manufacture of Town Gas.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

That's how Dad lit our Parkray stove/backboiler in the house he had built in 1956. It connected to a nifty gas bayonet device next to the fire.

Reply to
Andrew

An aunt had a Parkray. As I recall, the preferred method of lighting was the gas poker but you could used the “traditional” paper and stick method people used for coal fires ( back then (the mid 60s) ‘everyone’ had coal fires, central heating was a luxury and the Parkrays were just being fitted to some houses).

Using sticks left soot on the glass so was frowned upon.

Reply to
Brian

firelighters work well in closed stoves

Reply to