replacing solid fuel back boiler

I think I know the answer to this is to do nothing but...

The scene a 60s detached 3 bedroom house occupied by genteel, elderly, active thinking but near housebound lady I have recently met, previously heated by a redfyre back boiler, now broken with a melted grate. I botched a repair with nickel arc rods but the internal stresses caused it to break elsewhere and I haven't found a replacement. I can try welding again (with a heat soak) or fabricate a new one with a cast iron plate but it is 40 years old and I worry about the flue. It purported to heat a room and 3 radiators by gravity feed. The only good reason to retain it is that she has 2 tonnes of anthracite in the bunker.

In the meanwhile she is using 5 convector heaters and one of these with a 1kW radiant bar on. I've checked her meter reading and it is

1000 units over the electricity company's estimate for the quarter and it's not even got cold yet!

At 80+ she will never see a return on the things I want to suggest, like a small gas boiler (in the garage as she will not put up with any noises) and replaced radiators, loft and cavity wall insulation.

I have no doubt the house would be totally renovated by any incomers so any work will not add to the value and she is unlikely to move willingly and the trauma is not justified.

Any suggestions on the most economic solution?

AJH

Reply to
AJH

Powergen used to do an Age Concern endorsed fixed-rate energy package which would cap her bills at a reasonable level. My parents are still on it, but you'd have to check with uswitch or similar for availability.

If it's still available and suitable, then why not just switch her over, buy her some more cheap leccy heaters, and reassure her that she can use them as much as she wishes. Obviously there'll need to be an immersion heater as well.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Loft insulation, if you are willing to diy for her, costs ££, and some draught-proofing round the windows and doors (and the letter box) costs a few £. Even if she goes on a fixed price tariff for electricity, this would help improve comfort by reducing draughts and cold spots.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Loft and cavity insulation may well be doable for free, or a token payment, from various schemes. This can pay back very fast - even if not subsidised, especially if heating with electricity. Maybe even this winter, if it's subsidised somewhat.

And AIUI most of the 'capped price' schemes are _not_ applicable if you're keeping the place warm with electricity, low users only.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Cast-iron stove with backboiler?

Solid fuel Aga/Rayburn? (Can be picked up s/h very cheaply)

Reply to
dom

Just remembered that in Scotland there's been a scheme for providing new heating systems for people without - my gasfitter got one (not /quite/ sure how...).

Citizens' Advice Bureaux or the local Council and MP may be able to help.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Google 'warm front'.