hot and cold tap washers

Renovating an old house, we found the cold washers were rubber and the hot washers were fibre. Presumably because the rubber expanded with 60 celcius water. Now every brand I see claims to be suitable for hot and cold. Are they all low-expansion materials nowadays?

Reply to
pedro1492

They must be very old. Many decades now since hot and cold taps had different washers. (1950s?) At one time CW taps had leather washers and HW had some sort of fibre last didn't last long. Also CW taps had loose "jumpers" and HW taps had fixed ones.

Reply to
harryagain

Maybe the cold washers had failed and had been replaced.

Reply to
ARW

Probably just that the cold washers wore out before the hot.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Modern ones are probably EPDM, a synthetic rubber that is both WRAS approved and rated to 85C. WRAS approved natural rubber products are mostly rated to 23C or 30C.

Reply to
Nightjar