Tap Connectors Fibre Washers always leak eventually?

Tap Connectors Fibre washers

Problem always leak eventually?

Ok just replaced those dam fibre washers in the 2 kitchen sink taps and now the bathroom basin hot tap also beginning to drip (Bathroom basin tap less than year old).

I am sure I fitted them correctly just finger tight then tighten just enough to stop water leaking (being carefull not to overtighten). Anyone else find the fibre washers dont last long, anything I am doing wrong or is this a common problem with fibre washers?

BES page 150 Tap Connectors Female copper x BSP union nut Washer included

Reply to
tinklemagoo

Having just fit some yesterday and having the same problem I find jointing paste smeared over the thread a minor miracle (I couldn't fit PTFE since the [bath] taps were within a bloody cm of the wall).

Reply to
Mike Dodd

To be fair I have never had one develop a leak if it did not leak to start with...

That could be the difference. I do them up tighter than that.

Reply to
John Rumm

Strange, as the thread is not part of the water seal on a tap connector. If you put it on the washer, I might understand it.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Putting it on the thread may lubricate it enough such that it will do up that bit tighter with the same amount of torque.

Reply to
John Rumm

Use some Fernox silicone sealant. Brilliant stuff - although not cheap.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Hmmm Nope, still drip free. Maybe you're right, and its the re-tightening that's cured the problem?

So what is "Threadseal", "Sealing compound for watertight and gas tight thread connections" for?, is this type of product (PTFE tape, included) just for compression fittings? Do the flexible, braided tap connectors rely soley on the fibre/rubber washer?

Reply to
Mike Dodd

From the fact that this is happening to a lot of your taps I'd say you have fitted them badly somehow.

There are -or were last time I replaced some, two different types of washer. one is for the hot tap and the other for the cold. And there are a variety of sizes too.

What causes replacement washers to fail soon after fitting is worn old taps wearing out the surface. They do suffer erosion over many years and even brass can have a very sharp edge in those circumstances.

What can do it to taps just a few years old is detritus in the water. Such regions are fairly rare these days.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

Its for improving the sealing of connections that need the seal to operate on the thread itself. Typically malleable iron connections, taper fit BSP threaded connections (like many gas fittings) etc.

From a sealing point of view, there is no need for such things on compression fittings that seal with an olive, but there is a secondary benefit in that it lubricates the threads making it easier to do up (and dismantle later). That in turn gives you more compressive force on the olive and less wasted on overcoming friction in the threads.

Tap connections in general rely on a washer compressed with enough force to make a seal. The choice of fibre is ideal since it will expand slightly when wet and hence have a tendency to self heal any minor leaks. Also the washers don't perish.

Reply to
John Rumm

Or PlumbaJoint, which is also silicone.

Reply to
rrh

| | Tap Connectors Fibre washers | | Problem always leak eventually?

Yes! tap washers IME have a life of several years, whereas taps have a life of tens of years.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

They work just fine. You need to nip them up more.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

There seems to be a bit of confusion here - I get the feeling some are talking abut tap washers (i.e. that go inside taps to arrest the flow of water) rather than the tap *connector* washers we started talking about.

Reply to
John Rumm

For the avoidance of doubt, I was talking about tap connector washers.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I Know this could be dangerous as I do not have the rest of the thread but....

If the pipe connections are not being strained/twisted when screwing up the joint then these washers should be OK and last along time. I tend to try and solder the last joint with the pipe in position so this is avoided. If this is too difficult and you don't want to re-plumb, you can get away with fitting a suitable rubber ring in place of the fibre washer and some Furnox silicone. Apologies if this has been covered but I have had some problems with these joints especially on bottom high pressure feeds to toilets!!

Reply to
Peter Hemmings