Central heating pumps

Simple question.

I am moving from a gas fired (combi boiler) central heating system to a wood burner fired (back boiler) central heating system.

The fires (as you might expect) are in different places in the house.

I can re-cycle the pump from the old system, but rather than it being horizontal, because of space, it needs to be fitted vertically in the circuit.

Will that cause any problems?

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
Peter Sheppard

Shouldn't make any difference - our pump is installed that way (assuming that by vertically you mean the pipes go 'up & down' rather than 'left & right'. You need to be able to get at the bleed screw in order to get the air out of the pump - but other than that....

I guess some people might say that (depending on the age of the 'old' pump, now might be a good time to fit a new one, to avoid the hassle of doing so later .. but that's your decision )

We also have a lovely multifuel (wood & taybrite) boiler - instructions with ours required a 'stat on the heating circuit to only allow the pump to run when the water was above a certain temperature - think it was 40 centigrade (from memory).

The other thing we've noticed, having had 'conventional' boilers in the past, is that the circulating water is not as hot as you'd expect with gas or oil - but, in practice, this isn't a big deal.

Anyway - who wants to sit watching a gas boiler.... even a combi ??

Have fun Adrian Suffolk UK

======return email munged================= take out the papers and the trash to reply

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

The direction of flow should be upwards otherwise you can have problems with air locks.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Also, many pumps require the motor armature to be horizontal, as they have water bearings, and it's important the bearings themselves don't end up running dry in an air pocket.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Peter Sheppard wrote in news:%IxSe.11370 $ snipped-for-privacy@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

The new Grundfos alpha I just fitted insists on the body being horizontal.

OTOH the existing grundfos ups 15/50 I just removed was fitted in 1994 and is still going strong and quiet. (The paint was faded)

Still, fit it horzontal with the connector not to the bottom

mike

Reply to
mike ring

Yes, but this doesn't prevent the pump being fitted in a horizontal or vertical pipe. IIRC, my pump came with a leaflet showing permitted and not permitted mountings. And IIRC again, the only no-no was horizontal with the motor underneath.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Andrew Gabriel is dead right with the fact about the motor shaft. My next door neighbour had his system PROFESSIONALLY installed and they put the pump with its shaft in the vertical direction. After the summer had gone and the system was restarted .................. the pump didn't want to rotate did it. I was called in to administer a light hammer blow to get it going.

Reply to
mcbrien410

That reminds me of when I helped my old man out upgrading his heating. He did most of the plumbing and I did the wiring (he couldn't get to grips with the idea of room/cylinder stats and motorised valves and things).

Anyway, all went well and the system worked nicely until one night he phones me up at some rediculous hour telling me that his RCD had tripped and, having gone round unplugging things and turning things off he'd eventually narrowed it down to the boiler. He said there was obviously something wrong with the wiring I had done and I should go around immediately and fix it.

I went round the next morning, and after some investigation it turned out that he had mounted the pump vertically instead of horizontally and it had begun leaking a steady drip of water which was running down the side of the boiler and into the wiring connection box.

He wasn't best pleased when I told him that it was his dodgy plumbing and not my dodgy wiring that had caused the fault!

Reply to
Richard Conway

mike ring wrote in news:Xns96C78A258C8A0mikeringbtinternetco@130.133.1.4:

Fergot to mention fitted with the body vertical!

mike

Reply to
mike ring

That's common with a pump installed in any way if left unused for months.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)