Breeze Block / Party Walls Questions

Hi,

Further to my post on rawl bolts I've got another few questions now as follows ...

I live in a semi detached property. The party wall is the lounge wall of each property. I want to mount a flat screen TV on the lounge wall which weights about 28kg's. I've put some holes in the plaster to determine what's behind the wall and it is as follows:

Breeze Block -> 5cm gap approx* -> Plaster Board

  • The 5cm gap allows for the plaster to clear the flu blocks which run up the middle of the wall and slightly extrude the main breeze block.

My question is if I use say four 10mm rawl bolts with studding to bring the screw thread forward of the plaster board will this be sufficient enough to mount that sort of weight on (28kgs) - bearing in mind that the screens bracket wont be resting against the wall but the 5cm of studding between the breeze block and the plasterboard will be supporting the weight. I imagine I will need four fixings.

Also, is it acceptable to drill into my party wall in this way? I imagine that there are actually two courses(?) of breeze block between the two houses and I cant inadvertently drill straight into next doors room.

Thanks in advance,

CM.

Reply to
Charles Middleton

On Mon, 5 Apr 2004 17:21:24 +0000 (UTC), in uk.d-i-y "Charles Middleton" strung together this:

Can't comment on that, depends how well you fix them to the wall, should do though.

Yes, in order to end up in next doors front room you would have to drill a good 12"+.

Reply to
Lurch

Unless you live in a house like mine (1870's terrace) where the party walls are only about 4" thick including the plaster.

The previous owner of my house drilled right through on one memorable occasion

Nick Brooks (and if you're wondering how I can remember what the previous owner did, I moved from number 3 to number 6)

Reply to
Nick Brooks

He drilled through two intervening houses?? :-)

Reply to
Bob Eager

memorable

I was thinking that the odds and evens were probably on opposite sides of the road!

Neil

Reply to
Neil Jones

You have to be soooooo careful what you write on this forum these days! ;)

PoP

Reply to
PoP

So do you think there are two courses of bricks in between the house and plaster either side of those?

e.g.

My House Next Door

CM.

Reply to
Charles Middleton

On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 14:48:54 +0000 (UTC), in uk.d-i-y "Charles Middleton" strung together this:

Assuming it is a fairly modern house, post 60s sort of era, then yes. There will be a cavity between the two breeze block skins too. Although I won't say definitely because I can't see it, but in all probability, yes.

Reply to
Lurch

On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 14:48:54 +0000 (UTC), a particular chimpanzee named "Charles Middleton" randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

Most likely: Your Next house | | |gap | |block| |cavity | |block| |gap | | | door.

The thing you have to worry about (apart from making sure the fixings are adequate to support the load and that, if the blocks are aerated concrete, you have the right fixings), is transmission of sound. If the screen contains any speakers, fixing them to the wall can transmit a lot more of the lower frequencies through to next door.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

Hi

Is it legal to drill fixing/mounting holes into a party wall without going through all the party wall act stuff, or can one really not put up a shelf legitimately?

Thanks, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton