Putting plugs into old breeze block walls??

Hi, I've just moved into a new house that was built around 1920/30. I wanted to put shelves up in the alcove next to the fireplace on a wall that joins onto the next door house, but when I drilled into the wall it went in like the proverbial hot knife into butter. Thinking I'd hit mortar, I tried again, but it seems to be the same across the wall. The dust that came out is a pale pinkish grey and slightly gritty. Asking people who know more than me they seemed to think it might be old breeze block. Is this likely? And if so, what kind of fixings do I need to keep the shelves up there? Or should I give up and go with floor-standing shelves?

Thank you!

Reply to
Radio Researcher

Hi, I've just moved into a new house that was built around 1920/30. I wanted to put shelves up in the alcove next to the fireplace on a wall that joins onto the next door house, but when I drilled into the wall it went in like the proverbial hot knife into butter. Thinking I'd hit mortar, I tried again, but it seems to be the same across the wall. The dust that came out is a pale pinkish grey and slightly gritty. Asking people who know more than me they seemed to think it might be old breeze block. Is this likely? And if so, what kind of fixings do I need to keep the shelves up there? Or should I give up and go with floor-standing shelves?

Thank you!

Reply to
Radio Researcher

I know exactly the type of block you mean. It's a sort of 'Cinder' based breeze block which crumbles terribly when you drill into it.

The only "solution" I have found is to use a drill bit a few sizes smaller than normally needed and use wall plugs at least twice as long as normal. Even then the wall plugs sometimes pull out.

I had toyed with the idea of drilling large 1/2" holes, filling with 'Gripfill' (Or possibly proper concrete) and then drilling/plugging, but I haven't tried it yet.

sPoNiX

Reply to
sPoNiX

Alternatively:

sPoNiX

Correct lik for K-REM

sPoNiX

On 6 May 2004 03:06:29 -0700, in uk.d-i-y snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Radio Researcher) strung together this:

Sounds more like a plasterboard or lath and plaster wall to me.

Reply to
Lurch

One method that can work well for soft walls is to drill the hole deeper, and push the plug in so the top is about an inch below the surface. Also use the biggest plug you can get.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

I drill a one inch hole with an SDS drill and then hammer in a decent length of ribbed dowel. Tidy up with plaster skim, then screw into a pre-drilled hole in the dowel.

Reply to
G&M