Buy a Dyson at your peril

Anyone else had bad experiences with Dyson vacuum cleaners, but I bought one 12 months ago and so far have had two motors replaced and the third is on it's way out judging by the noise it's now making. The "wand" for cleaning the stairs has also broke and part of the plastic body which switches the suction from the floor to the wand has snapped off. Now it doesn't have a hard life we only live in your average 3 bedroom house so I'm not excactly over working it. I was especially impressed by the two engineers who came to repair the motors, they were quite open about the poor reliability of these dysons!! I've got a couple of friends who have had similar experiences, and I was just wondering how bad these cleaners actually are for reliability.
I won't be buying another of these over priced cleaners. avoid them like the plague.
Mr Angry wrote:

Funnily enough there's just been a report published that agrees with your findings.
Personally, I inherited a Dyson from my mum a few years ago, never had a problem with it (which wasn't my fault).
Dan Gravell wrote:

Reference?
We bought a cylinder one about 5 years ago. The only problem has been that I snapped the top of the wand, but I suspect that's because I used to push things sideways out of the way with it, putting lots of force in directions it wasn't designed for. Replaced that maybe 3 years ago and no hassles since.
This was bought before they outsourced the manufacturing though. Maybe that's a factor.
--
Dr. Craig Graham, Software Engineer
Advanced Analysis and Integration Limited, UK. http://www.aail.co.uk /
In uk.d-i-y, Craig Graham wrote:

Might he be referring to Which? May 2004, p12?
--
Overall, 79% of upright vacs up to
six years old haven't required repair

Mine's been going well for well over 3 years. Reasonably hard life as well. The only thing that does break (and shouldn't) is the mains lead where it enters the machine. It has been shortened (by me) twice. Starting to look a little tatty I suppose but still cleans excellently.
I would say their suggestion that the filters are changed "every 3 months" is laughably inaccurate (or we have a very dirty house). I have to change mine every time I empty it but they are washable.
--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

think it's about time for another rousing chorus of the Henry song....
:-)
-- Richard Sampson
On 6 May 2004 03:53:36 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Mr Angry) wrote:

From personal experience:
2x Dyson DC01 cleaners which blew motors. 1x Dyson DC01 cleaner where the mains lead exploded where it enters the appliance.
I emailed Watchdog six months ago saying that I thought there was a serious design issue with Dyson vacs but apparently Dyson said there wasn't a problem.
I'm permanently souring car boot sales for donor machines to keep our two running!
sPoNiX
(Mr Angry)

It seems to be the DC01s that have the most troubles - whether that is because they were the first (teething troubles?), or because they are now the oldest I couldn't say.
All I know is that my DC07 cleans much better than any other vacuum cleaner I've used, and seems to be much more solidly built too.
Bob
(Mr Angry)

cleaner
I have had a DC01 for 7 or 8 years, and apart from belts nothing wrong at all.

You buy cheap power tools that under perform, but overpriced vacuum cleaners that are heavily advertised? Strange priorities...
--
*Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt.

IMM wrote:

Ah, but have you actually switched it on? IOr is it merely an objet d'art in your parlour?
SWMBo now rerely uses her two, as she has discovered how ***ing awkward and heavy they are compared with a cheapo Japanese cylinder.
writes of Dysons

Whereas the lady of the house here will only use the ageing DC05 and will have nothing to do with the Panasonic cheapy I bought for downstairs. I will admit that the Panasonic lost most of its suction when I used it to clear up some brick dust. The brick dust clogged a couple of its washable filters something that the spinning Dyson never had a problem with.
--
dave @ stejonda

"To materialist eyes, India is a developing country;
Co-incidentally there's an article on someone's unreliable Dyson in today's (Friday) Daily Mail entitled 'Why my Dyson sucks (or rather, why I wish it would)'. Also nice pics of Kate Beckinsale.
MJ
On Fri, 07 May 2004 21:52:01 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@MJ.com wrote:

I wonder if she sucks?
BB
(Mr Angry)

now
at
I can think of better objets d'art.

I expect that's the mains lead problem we keep hearing about
mike
(Mr Angry)

There's a good source at my local council's recycling centre. I go there about once a week and theres usually at least one been discarded. Maybe I notice them more than other makes because they are so gaudy? Its certainly put me off buying one.
(Mr Angry)

As they are the biggest selling cleaner in the UK by miles, you will see more of them around.

They take my uncle who runs his own vac repair business on holidays whenever he fancies so he can't fault them...
I'll stick with my Henry.
Mark S.

We've had a DC01 for eight years and it's still going strong. I've replaced the drive belt once, but other than that it's been trouble- free. My only criticisms are that the flexible hose is a little awkward to use and that it doesn't lie flat enough to go under beds.
James