Buy a Dyson at your peril

In message , Andy Hall writes

Indeed, my experience is that the suction stays pretty constant, until a point where the filter gets too blocked, and then it rapidly goes down hill.

In 'normal' use I've not found the filter blocks quickly (or even at all in fact), but fine plaster dust will do it... :-)

We've had 2 and both have been reliable, a DCO2 which was so nice that someone nicked it, and a more recent DCO7. I much prefer the newer filters as they are washable though.

As for braking, well ours have both passed the bounce down the stairs test.

I certainly think that the cleaning performance is better than the Henrys I've used.

Reply to
chris French

It's more like an allen key, but with a rather more star-shaped than hexagonal shaped profile. Actually, if you don't need a high torque on it, an allen key will work.

A small flat bladed screwdriver which fits in the hole easily pings off the raised bit in my experience if you twist the screwdriver against it. Close your eyes though, unless you fancy getting it in the eye;-)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Well, we've had a DC01 for ~7 years and apart from a belt and a broken mains cable at the handle entry point, we've had no problems whatsoever. We are so impressed with it we even bought a Dyson washing machine too. Nice big gaudy purple thing!

-- snipped-for-privacy@nospammarconi.com Replace the dots and remove nospam for valid email address

Reply to
Paul King

In message , chris French writes

Shouldn't the brakes have prevented that?

Reply to
me

In message , "dave @ stejonda" writes

Obviously weren't adjusted properly.

Reply to
chris French

Dyson handle their own returns (Rather than the store that sold it) so I'm not surprised that your shop rarely saw a faulty one.

sPoNiX

Reply to
sPoNiX

Hardly worth getting one in the eye for ever more for the sake of a tenner!

Reply to
Bob Mannix

With lots of free spam. :-)

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

We have had a DC01 for a few years now but rarely use it.

For 'building jobs' it's the Henry and cheap bags from the market.

For indoors it's a Mele 'Cat & Dog' (cyl type) because it's very much quieter than and more flexible than the Dyson. The DC01 is probably 'better' on large expanses of carpet in a Bungalow?

(I was doing some work indoors and using the Henry quite a bit and got fed up with the noise level (I have tinitus as it is). I took a sound level meter into the vacuum shop (like you do) and the Dyson was by far the loudest).

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

You mean they managed to stop themselves on the way down?

Reply to
usenet

Well I do get a free catalogue but nothing else (at least I can't remember the last time I got anything via email) and I quite like the catalogue!

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Reference?

We bought a cylinder one about 5 years ago. The only problem has been that I snapped the top of the wand, but I suspect that's because I used to push things sideways out of the way with it, putting lots of force in directions it wasn't designed for. Replaced that maybe 3 years ago and no hassles since.

This was bought before they outsourced the manufacturing though. Maybe that's a factor.

Reply to
Craig Graham

I was told by the helpline that they're only designed for "normal domestic use" and that plaster dust and soot don't come under this. Copout..

The shower makes filter cleaning quite painless though when I do some cleanup of such. We don't have an open fire so it's quite rare.

In any case, the Dyson only does upstairs now. Downstairs is Roomba territory :)

Reply to
Craig Graham

I looked at one of those, but no way do I want a carbuncle like that in the kitchen - or anywhere really. Looks dreadful, like its designed to appeal to 11 year olds.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Co-incidentally there's an article on someone's unreliable Dyson in today's (Friday) Daily Mail entitled 'Why my Dyson sucks (or rather, why I wish it would)'. Also nice pics of Kate Beckinsale.

MJ

Reply to
MJ

Might he be referring to Which? May 2004, p12?

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Nonsense. They are meant for domestic use, not for commercial application. Otherwise builders would be using them all the time and taking them back under guarantee. They'd buy one and never have to buy another.

BB

Reply to
Big Bill

I wonder if she sucks?

BB

Reply to
Big Bill

It wasn't my shop. My partner worked for a TV / electrical shop.

In the case of the shop in question, if something was wrong, most customers first port of call would be back to the shop. My partner says that it was very rare they would have anyone complaining about Dysons.

Graham

Reply to
Graham Wilson

Which? were very bitchy about the Dyson washing machine.

Graham

Reply to
Graham Wilson