Re: Dumped my Dyson

Hi norm, I liked your review of a Dyson, well funny. But not only that, I have to agree with you too. It is heavy for one thing, so after the wife had bumped it down the stairs to clean the lower levels, I always had to take it back up again to park it in the airing cupboard.

Also I found that it seemed to spit out a fine sand like material, probably dust that it didn't like the taste of maybe. Then it used to get statically charged so that it would become a dust magnet more than a dust sucker.

It cut out a few times and I had to dismantle it to reset the thermal cut out switch. The novelty of watching the dust spin like a special effect from the latest Spielberg movie soon wears off. It has taken a few knocks over the years, but the final straw came a few months back. It refused to suck, I cleaned it all up and it still refused to suck. I replaced all the filters, stuck long bits of wood up all it's tubes to make sure they were not blocked, but it still refused to suck.

So in a fit of rage, I lifted it, and slammed it into the concrete paving, and it didn't like that I can tell you. Off flew the wheels, crack went the case, ping went the rollers and the sound of screws landing several metres away filled the air. Then there was a strange peace, like silence the of the Dysons. Of course my wife was not too impressed, but at least she had the Miele Art to fall back on, and soon I will be treating her to a Miele revolution powerplus 5000, now sounds like a real mean sucker.

But like you, I felt a little sadness looking at the broken pile of what once was the collector of dirt and dust, and being a bit mad, I have stored the bits in a box and one day, when I have nothing better to do, I may just try to revive it. I have this feeling that if I do, the first thing it will say is, Dyson 5 is alive, in which case it will end up in even smaller pieces that it is now.

Have you seen the latest Dysons, they look like they would be more at home in the next Ghostbusters movie. I have been known to go into currys or comet, and re-enacted a moment from the film while playing with the extending tubes on one of them. Anyway the bottom line is Dysons suck, but not what they are meant to.

Miff

Reply to
Miff

If bored, design your own Central Vacuum Cleaner with the parts. Just realise the motor itself requires airflow for cooling.

Reply to
Dorothy Bradbury

It refused to suck, I cleaned it all up and it still refused to suck. I replaced all the filters, stuck long bits of wood up all it's tubes to make sure they were not blocked, but it still refused to suck.

I can't think how a cleaner can not suck if the motor is running and there is no blockage. Can anyone suggest a likely cause?

John

Reply to
john

I can only think that the fan blades were loose and not rotating.

jks

Reply to
jks