OT? where to buy motor brushes (for a convertible top motor)

OT? I realize finally that the problem with my comvertible top motor is that the brushes are worn out.**

Any suggestions on where to get new ones?

Mouser electronics doesn't sell any motor brushers. Googling brings up hundreds of sites for particular brushes for particular vacuum cleaners, etc. I put in -dremel and so forth to exclude dremel brushes and so forth, but it's not enough to find a place that sells a variety of brushes. Chrysler just sells whole motors. Junk yards want at least 100 dollars for a used motor. The one auto electrical shop I talked to so far thought he would not have what I needed.

I'm told I won't be able to find the size I need, (3/8" square by 5/8" long with a braided wire attached) but I don't mind sanding down the ones I do find.

If I find a brush without the braided wire, is there any way to attach the wire still in the motor to a new brush? I sort of think not, but what do I know?

BTW, I won't be able to do this until I get the cast off my arm and the abdominal surgery is more healed. I figure 3 to 5 weeks might be enough and I'm plannng ahead. :)

** (Right now it often doesn't work, but does if I hit the motor! Sometimes now I have to hit it more than one series of hits!! After it starts, it works fine.

Thanks.

Reply to
mm

Many hardware stores have a good selection. I have no idea how many variations exist though so I don't know what the chances are of finding your size. .

Try these guys though. Do you know who the motor manufacturer is?

Minimum order though, is $40 Could be this?
Remember, that brush is worn so the length may be wrong.

Given the normal life of brushes and the infrequent use of a convertible top, are you sure the brushes need replacing and not just a stronger spring for better contact?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Many hardware stores have a good selection. I have no idea how many variations exist though so I don't know what the chances are of finding your size. .

Try these guys though. Do you know who the motor manufacturer is?

Minimum order though, is $40 Could be this?
Remember, that brush is worn so the length may be wrong.

Given the normal life of brushes and the infrequent use of a convertible top, are you sure the brushes need replacing and not just a stronger spring for better contact?

****

Check with electric motor rewinding/rebuilding companies in the Yellow Pages. Most of them stock a huge assortment. Take in the brushes and they should be able to match them. You can file or sand them to alter the sizes slightly if you can get something close.

Reply to
Larry

Duh! (slaps head) I'm supposed to know what hardware stores sell! At least you still do.

I guess I'll have to buy 9 of them. But still, I'm impressed that you found this company.

Same cross section, and includes the wire braid I think or at least enough to solder the existing braid to. And it's made by Delco. It looks like it's made of two materials, side by side. Very intersting

Ford and Chrysler have used the same top motors, though not at exactl the same years, since the 80's at least. One top motor guy, who charges only 65 plus 10 dollars shipping (although he's running 400 emails behind now, he says) sa

I asked about this in a Chrysler yahoo list, and someone who had done it said that was the length.

Thanks for the warning. It is a 14 year old car, but I won't know the answer until I take one of the motors apart**, and maybe I can't do that until my arm is a little closer to healed. But that's ok. That's why Im planning ahead.

But, I actually asked on two yahoo lebaron lists, and 5 people told me it was the brushes, and no one said otherwise. They should know.

**I have the motor from the '95 I have currently, and one from the 84 I once had. I didn't save the motor from the 88 because I thought one spare would be enough, since I've driven nothing but old convertibles since 1967, and never had trouble with a motor, and the one from 84 was working when I junked the car. Yet when I tested it this year, it didn't work. I'm sorry I didn't save the third one now.

The motors are interchangeable, but many/most/all of the parts from one are not interchangeable with the other. I might be able to remove the motor part from the '95, that's in there now, without removing the pump from the car. That would be nice.

A very good idea. I callled a motor store (I've only found two in Balitimore, and this is the bigger one, very big, very busy) that I've bought a replacement motor for my roof fan, and he said they only did AC motors, and the brushes would be too big, so I thanked him and hung up, but if I'm going to have to sand them down anyhow, what's a little more sanding.

Reply to
mm

You mentioned two layers, your brushes might have a copper nickel and/or silver plating. That minimizes the resistance of the carbon brush on low voltage high current motors. Sanding those to fit will probably shorten brush life. Check the commutator for dead or burnt spots. My old 914 had lots of motors, and I wasted many hours trying to resurrect the dead. Occassionally a Japanese toy or tool motor found a new home, all those motors aren't as different as one might think. Hope you get your classic back to good health.

-- larry/dallas

Reply to
larry

Thanks. I'm sure I will.