washing machine motor brushes

hello all. My washer tries to spin but doesn't. I took the top off and saw / heard arcing coming from the motor. Is it the brushes? how easy / costly are they to replace?

thanks

Reply to
Fray Bentos

I have since removed one of the brushes to discover the connection to the brush holder is black and charred to the point where I can't easily remove the spade connector. The brush holder is also yellowed/brown down the length of the body. Will the arcing of the brush have caused the connector to burn? or is it something more sinister ? p.s. its a hotpoint about 5 yr old, its had its brushes replaced before but I want to DIY.

Reply to
Fray Bentos

I have a Creda (which I believe is the same company as Hotpoint) that is also around 5 years old. I've changed the brushes several times as this seems to be a weakness with the machine. I've also had to change the armature (or it may have been the complete motor, I can't remember now) as the armature had burnt out.

It's easy to replace the brushes (I count the actual brush and incorporated holder as the brush), albeit a bit fiddly - the motor on my machine is at the top rear right hand corner - and the right hand brush is a bit awkward to get at.

The brush holders have moulded tabs on them that lock into place when the holder is inserted and this tab will need to be depressed when removing the old brush. If you decide you want to remove a brush you've just put in, for whatever reason, you have to be careful that you don't break the tab off as the brush will be useless then.

Change both brushes, regardless if one looks better than the other, it will save having to replace the other one a few weeks later! Remember that the brushes are "handed" - i.e. they are not the same way round and one goes to the right, one to the left. When you remove the old brush, mark it "left" or "right" as appropriate. Check the angle of the carbon at the end and replace it with the angle of the new brush facing the same way. Also, mark the new brush "left" or "right" to make it easier when you have to change them again.

I made up a set of instructions, together with labelled photos if it's of any use to you - it's in PDF format, about 1.6Mb. E-mail me if you would like me to send it to you.

Normally it is the arcing that causes the holder etc. to burn. One of mine was burnt quite badly. I can't remember if I replaced the holder in the end (if so, it was probably a pig to do) or if I ended up with a new set when I changed the armature.

I've bought the brushes at a local repair shop that sells part, or SparesRus also does them mail order:

buying locally, you will need to take the machine model number with you (usually located on a small sticker inside the door) as the general info. on the front of the machine is meaningless. E.g. my machine says "Creda

1200 Superspeed" of the front. The actual model no. details are "Creda 17087".

It would also help to take one of the brushes along with you, or at least compare it when you get back home before you open the packet, to make sure you've got the right one. I've had arguments at my local store in the past when they've tried to tell me that Creda isn't Hotpoint and they don't stock the Creda brushes. When I've shown them the brush it's "Oh yes, we've got that, but it's for Hotpoint machines!".

Roger (my reader sometimes loses mail/newsgroup messages

- if you think you should have had a reply/comment, please e-mail me again. Ta!)

Reply to
romic

The carbon brushes fit inside a brush holder that in turn slides into the body of the motor. The brush holder has a barb that locates into the motor to stop it being pushed back out. If you look with a torch you should be able to see the arrangement. Using a short flat bladed driver you should be able to push the barb in and slide the holder out of the motor. Beware these can be brittle and snap off. If you get the holders out in tact you need only buy the carbon brushes, if not you'd need the holder as well. I bought my last ones from a market stall. Good luck and watch your fingers. Turn the mains off, etc.. Gary

Reply to
Gary

thankyou for the attention. I have removed both brushes, both looked charred, so I'm off to town tomorrow for a new set. I'll get the plastic holders too. I have a problem though. The brushes have a tab. The tab connects to the wire. The end of the wire is terminated to a spade connector in a plastic type cover. The plastic cover is charred away. the spade connector is gunked up with black melted plastic. I really need to replace the wire. I see the motor has a connector block which connects to the various parts of the motor. Can these block/ wire harnesses be bought?

or is it new motor time?

Reply to
Fray Bentos

Genuine Hotpoint brushes are under a fiver IIRC from CPC. Generally the only other separate part available for motors (some only) is the armature, but if you give CPC a call, they have all the exploded parts diagrams and can tell you which parts are separately available.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel