Washing machine motor brushes

My washing machine (Hoover Performa 900 AC90) stops turning its motor every now and then, so after I remove and clean up a bit the carbon brushes, it works again.

However, they are worn down and need to be replaced. They look like this:

and I think:

or:

will be the replacements I need.

Does that seem right?

What are "C.E.SET" brushes, by the way?

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

"D.M. Procida" wrote in message news:1ho6dgo.1mvkbubusmow6N% snipped-for-privacy@apple-juice.co.uk...

I bought a set of brushes for a different Hoover model from an ebay seller, barty40. Cheaper than dabs, cheaper postage, and arrived in less than 24 hours. Might be worth emailing him even he doesn't list your model. Another ebay seller pall527, does list them, but I've not dealt with him or compared his prices.

The CESET motor seems to be an alternative type, sometimes fitted to this model. End of knowledge.

Reply to
Autolycus

We take our shortened brushes - from any motor - to the local electrical supplier and they sell us a replacement, it's just pennies.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Change them ASAP. If you keep cleaning them you could damage the commutator.

Just go to your local washing machine spares & repairs place with the model number of the machine, they will know exactly what you need.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I've now replaced the brushes with new ones, but the motor is a good deal noisier that it was before. It sounds like the brushes might not be rubbing as smoothly as they were. They even causes some interference with the nearby radio, which they didn't before.

Will they bed in over time? I don't think I can have mis-seated them.

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

yes they wear down to match the commutator surface in use.

Odd sig btw.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Thanks.

In general, how long does this take? The shine of my washing machine success is being tarnished by my girlfriend's remarks about how noisy it it.

Do you think so?

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

You could accelerate the bedding in process by rubbing a strip of glasspaper back and forth between the commutator and the brushes. (motor stationary, power off , and abrasive side towards the brushes) You don't have a groove in the commutator do you ?

Ian

Reply to
Ian G

Not that I had noticed, it seemed fairly smooth. I don't suppose lubricating the commutator with a little graphite powder would be a wise idea.

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

Graphite is conductive, so would be a really bad idea. + it's a lubricant, so would only slow down the brushes bedding in.

As suggested, you need to lightly adbrade the surface of the commutator.

- this will leave tiny particles on the surface, which will accelerate the bedding in process.

Reply to
xscope

This does tend to be the case with many machines..however most brushes I have replaced have been shaped to fit..yours may be a 'standard' part for many machines and not quite shaped to fit..if so they soon will be :-).

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I hope you put them in correctly. Generally 2-30 minutes of running.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

A good few years ago, before Candy bought out Hoover, we had a Hover Automatic on rental and every 6 weeks the engineer came out and replaced the brushes. he got so used to coming in the end he became a good friend and gave us his personal phone number so that we didn't have to bother going through the shop. His wife often saw his van outside our house and quizzed him as to whether he was having an affair with my wife. Eventually, he fitted a new motor and all was well after that. We later bought a new Hotpoint and have never looked at a Hoover since.

Reply to
the_constructor

How long, who knows. It depends how close to the final shape they are and so on. Job's done, don't worry about it.

Why does she expect new brushes to be the same as the old ones from day

1? If she wants it quieter, she can file them herself. That usually produces a spontaneous getting real.

I did...

No! Bad idea. Assuming your brushes are close to final shape theres no problem. Even if theyre nothing like final shape, they'l probably be ok.

NT

Reply to
meow2222