Basic mains electric lawnmower wanted but with more power

I've got a fair sized lawn, I'm not houseproud and hate mowing the lawn. I tend to let it grow longer than I should and when I get round to mowing it it's always longer than it should be and usually damp.
I do it with a basic Qualcast mains mower and it always blocks up and "stalls" after a minute or two so I have to poke it clear with a stick.
I'm looking for recommendations for a basic mains mower that has the power not to stall as much.
Thanks
On 19/07/2012 19:43, Murmansk wrote:

tend to let it grow longer than I should and when I get round to mowing it it's always longer than it should be and usually damp.

You need a petrol mower - loads on feebay, or I've got an old Quicksilver 46S you can have for 20 (Hampshire)
On 19/07/12 19:58, Nospam wrote:

I have a Bosch Rotak electric mower and it's probably the best electric mower I've ever used (I've had flymos - hover and rotary - and cylinder mowers in the past).
It never struggles power-wise with long grass etc. The only issue is that if the grass is long and damp, the grass "exhaust" clogs easily and eventually the blockage backs up and starts to foul the blade. But that can be fixed to a great extent by clipping the downward pointing flap upwards - at the expense of grass-cutting coated trouser legs as the grass then exits horizontally rather than downwards....
And of course, don't use a grass collection box if you are cutting really long grass or you'll be emptying it every 10 feet. Just live with the cut grass on the lawn...
On 19/07/2012 19:43, Murmansk wrote:

tend to let it grow longer than I should and when I get round to mowing it it's always longer than it should be and usually damp.

Swept burning laser beam. Move animals off the lawn first.
OK, sounds silly, but could be done? What type and power laser? Could be run unattended on a timer?
--
Adrian C

Adrian C wrote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^desired
--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Pity about the kids.

Nope.
Yes, but you'd have a problem when staggering home from the pub drunk etc.
On 19/07/2012 19:43, Murmansk wrote:

tend to let it grow longer than I should and when I get round to mowing it it's always longer than it should be and usually damp.

Any cylinder is going to stall on long and/or damp grass. Rotaries are much more tolerant, even basic electric ones. A petrol hover is particularly tolerant, if you don't mind faffing about with starting and fiddling with fuel.

Hover, rather than cylinder. Otherwise a giant petrol rotary, but I guess you don't want to spend that much.
A Flymo "Mow and Vac" is the first hover I've used that didn't leave all the clippings behind.
My current one is a rotary not cylinder.
Laser beam sounds good.
Don't fancy petrol but might have a look at them on Ebay
Thanks
PS I hate hover mowers - can see one being much use when the grass is about 40cm long.

Stick with what you have got, and mow weekly. You get to enjoy it after a while.
Mike

No thanks. I don't even mow annually.

Like hell you do.
On 19/07/2012 20:45, Murmansk wrote:

Well, I certainly don't like mains electric mowers - it's very difficult to keep the cable out of the way of the mower.
Modern petrol rotary mowers (not hover - they've got wheels) are pretty reliable and easy to start. They've all got 4-stroke engines, so there's no faffing about with 2-stroke mixture. Best to get one with a Briggs & Stratton engine.
--
Cheers,
Roger

+1
Soon as we moved here I indented for one. I told the Finance Committee I wouldn't mow the grass unless. I tried to indent for a sit-on but was turned down.
Mine even has electric starting, although there's a pull-cord too. Petrol ones are considerably more powerful than an electric one and as has been stated, no cable (which would be impractical here anyway).
BTW, can someone explain how a hover is supposed to work. If it's hovering, the rotary blade must be shoving air downwards. In which case, how is it supposed to *suck* the cuttings *upwards* into the bag against the airflow?
--
Tim

Simples.... they dont suck the clippings up from within the hover/cutting deck....
dont think the blade contributes much to the hover bit.... the fan which does provide most of the lift is mounted above the blade, and sucks air in from the grass box, which has it's inlet behind the deck pointed at the floor, so it sucks the clippings up as it's sucking in air for the fan, which makes it hover,
the grass box is perforated all round, so lets the air through whilst catching the grass, tho when the box is stuffed with grass, i notice the mower is hovering a little lower... but not sure if its the grass weight and/or lower air flow.
Gazz wrote:

So, as each blade is cut, it is first pushed downwards by the hover airflow, then has to be picked up again as the suction inlet passes over. Wheeled mowers are more efficient, as they can be arranged to have the airflow upwards, and cut grass immediately heads in the right direction.
Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
snipped-for-privacy@cdixon.me.uk
Roger Mills wrote:

+1
The B&S engine on mine never lets me down. Even after standing all winter on a tank of stale petrol, it starts on the 2nd pull.
--
Tim Watts

On 20/07/2012 08:15, Tim Watts wrote:

Same here. I bought a 2nd hand mower with a B&S engine on ebay about 5 years ago for 30. It's still going strong and starts without issue. It's currently being fed on a diet of 12 year old petrol recovered from a car which had been standing for years in the garage before I scrapped it, and is running fine on it! I don't have a very big lawn, but the previous electric mower was so pathetic I gave it away when I bought this one. Soooo much easier with the petrol one.
On 19/07/2012 22:59, Roger Mills wrote:

I hated Briggs and Stratton engines. I've got a Honda mower and still like the engine.
On 20/07/2012 20:37, Clive George wrote:

B&S are a good compromise between price and something that actually works! Honda is good, but expensive. Anything cheaper than B&S doesn't work very well.
--
Cheers,
Roger