Basic Lawn Mower Question

I have a Murray 22inch. A few weeks ago my Teenager said it started smoking. I added oil and it looked OK. Actually, she added 2-cycle oil; I saw it, dumped it out and added SAE 30; a bit got into what I think is the air filter and it smoked a little from that (but no longer from lack of oil) and then it ran OK. For a few weeks.

The other day the Nephew was mowing the lawn, and said it started smoking. There was oil, but maybe a little low, so I filled it to the line. Now it smokes really bad out of the alleged air filter. I'm not aware of anything getting into the device. I intend to take the filter thing apart and hunt down a replacement element for it (if that's what it is), but I saw some mower repair posts in this newsgroup and thought I'd ask.

Reply to
Michael Krantz

If it is smoking back out of the air filter it sounds to me like you may have a bad intake valve or it is sticking. If it is smoking out of the exhaust then I would think maybe rings..? Also, is it possible that someone put some oil in the gas by mistake?

Craig

Reply to
Craig Robison