Small push-button switch

I've a couple of desk lamps with the domed push-button switches and one is rather glued together and getting more fragile. Eventually I managed to find something on Ebay - tried all sorts of search terms to exclude wrong items. Needs to have screw terminals and 12mm thread; most I've seen are 10mm and trying to adapt the hole wouldn't be easy in thin metal. One looks hopeful but, from dimensions given, I suspect that it's also 10mm hole:

Any pointers to other sources, please?

Reply to
PeterC

Surely that large screw on cover/fixing would cover the odd 2mm extra clearance on the hole. With the old switch are you measuring the size of the hole or are you measuring the outside diameter of the tread on the switch?

Reply to
alan_m

I've had similar quests for small rocker switches and you just have to persever I fear. They're so cheap that you can risk buying without too much of a loss. I now have extensive stocks of quite a variety of small rocker switches! :-)

Good sources other than eBay might be CPC and/or aliExpress (though you have a bit of a wait then).

You might also consider converting to a small rocker switch instead of the push button one, I certainly have a lot of 12mm ones. :-)

Reply to
Chris Green

Believe it or not I got a replacement for this sort of switch from B&Q. Its not on their website of course but it was on the shelf with all of the electrical bits and bobs (fuse wire, choc blocks, heat shrink etc). If you are close to or passing it may be worth a look.

Reply to
Chris B

From the data sheet this one from CPC looks to fit a 12mm hole

Manufacturer: PRO ELEC Manufacturer Part No: PELR0258 Order Code: SW05520

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Can be tricky.

Diameter or length?

If we are talking diameter here ... and assuming the switch doesn't screw into a thread in the lamp, would a 3D printed 'washer' or top-hat tube do it?

Looks likely to be the case, depending on how the rest of the 'box' is measured.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Why not ask the seller for clarification. Alternatives are mentioned at the bottom of that page on Ebay.

Reply to
Roger Mills

The Natural Philosopher

Try RS, CPC, Rapid, etc. Vast range of mains rated push button switches of all types. But look out for a minimum charge and or high P&P on a small order.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Yes it does, thank you. Also the width of body and dia. of thread are the same - I'd forgotten that they could be that. I can't be certain of the threads on mine as one would need some possible destruction to get at (glued-on cloth) and I'm not risking unscrewing the top incase it won't re-tighten; the other I can't unscrew without holding the body and that means removing the lamp holder. In an Anglepoise-style shade that's not easy for big hands. Many thanks for all of the suggestions. I'll have to try and get a better idea of the threads. One of the domes is actually 12mm OD, so the thread could be 10mm. BTW, I still have a 15/32" inch drill bit for making 12mm holes - it's rather ancient now.

Reply to
PeterC