Battery Operated Push Button Deadbolts - Opinions?

Does anyone have any opinions on Battery Operated Push Button Deadbolts for entry doors?

Opinions? In this newsgroup? Why'd I bother asking? ;-)

We're considering this one for our new entry door. Other than the wife, the rest of us don't carry a house key, we just use the push button pad on the garage door to enter the house.

._SS500_.jpg A push button deadbolt would allow us to use the front door also.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

So, the battery dies, there's a power outage which puts the garage door to sleep, and you don't carry a key. Now what happens?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

theres a standard key too. can be well hidden outdoors for emergencies...

Reply to
hallerb

They use the hidden key.

Are you really arguing from the "what happens if three alternatives fail" platform? Most people just carry a key.

RicodJour

They use the hidden key.

Are you really arguing from the "what happens if three alternatives fail" platform? Most people just carry a key.

===============

"Are you really arguing from the "what happens if three alternatives fail" platform?"

Yes. Sorry if that made you uncomfortable, but I'm a worst case scenario kind of person.

"Most people just carry a key."

He said "Other than the wife, the rest of us don't carry a house key"

Did I misinterpret that, or does it mean that only his wife carries a key?

He also did not mention a hidden key.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Yes...I put battery operated deadbolts around our entire home, shop, and outside poolhouse. They are great! Yes from time to time batteries (4 double AA's)do die depending on how much you use them but we have a hidden key....The shop in the back yard is generally not heated so the batteries tend to not last as long in the winter time when there is no heat. After having them for a while you can actually tell when the batteries are on their way out as the locking mechanism turns sluggish before total failure...so it sort of lets you know when it's time to replace the batteries.. In the five or so years I have had them I think I have had one instance where I would have to go looking for a key. I have a total of 7 doors done this way.. any other questions let me know,,, Jim

Reply to
Jim

See what I mean about "opinions" in this group? ;-)

A key to the deadbolt on my basement door is on the same key ring as the spare key for my car, which is somewhere in my car.

Lost car keys? Call AAA, I'm in and driving.

The battery dies and there's a power outage? I use the basement door key.

OK, I should have been more specific - not *carrying* a key doesn't mean I don't have a key available for emergencies.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

quoted text -

Thanks for "endorsement".

Any thoughts on the Kwikset lock I'm interested in?

._SS500_.jpg We looked at a Schlage, but it was ugly in the boss's eyes.

DerbyDad03

See what I mean about "opinions" in this group? ;-)

===========

I just ran with the available facts. The alternative would've been to guess. :-)

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I keep my hidden key inside the house where there's less chance of a would be burgler finding it.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I have had a mechanical (Simplex) on my front door since 1971. I am not sure about the electrical ones but I have had zero problems with these.

Reply to
gfretwell

It doesnt have the life of a mechanical kepad or keyed lock, ask a local locksmith what life expectancy is. I use a mecanical keypad lock and you wont see battery stuff on commercial buildings. For a homeowner it might be ok.

Reply to
ransley

Hmm, Sounds like your mind is made up to try that battery driven lock. Why ask then? Always more gadgestry, the more chance of getting into trouble. I wouldn't try something like that. Trying to justify buying that item. Go once step further get one with wireless fob.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Thanks for "endorsement".

Any thoughts on the Kwikset lock I'm interested in?

._SS500_.jpg

No Idea on those...this is what I have been using...they are all Weiser locks seen here....

Jim

We looked at a Schlage, but it was ugly in the boss's eyes.

Jim

Google Bump key entry or on Snopes. Some brands of door locks won't let this happen. Do your homework. WW

Reply to
WW

We have the Weisers on our main entry doors plus the doors from two attached garages. We haven't carried house keys for years. There are great. Out of 5 of these locks we haven't had weak batteries in more than one lock at a time. Three locks should be fine unless you let the batteries die in two of them and then the third one dies. But then you just go to a hidden key.

Reply to
Reno

I am a locksmith.

The locks work OK the biggest problem I have seen is the price. If you are OK with the price then you will be fine as long as the lock is installed properly, these gizmos are not to tolerant to sloppy installation.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

..

re: Sounds like your mind is made up to try that battery driven lock.

Sounds like *your* mind is made about what *my* mind is made up about.

re: Why ask then?

errr....perhaps to help make up my mind. That make sense?

I have to decide what kind of lock I want before I can order the new entry door. Not only do I need to tell them how to bore the door, but I need to match the hardware to the hinges, the threshold, etc.

The convenience of being able to use the front door without a key is inviting, but if the type of lock I'm looking at gets shot down by the fine members of this group, I will start looking at other options.

If I start looking at other options, I'll be back asking questions - before I make up my mind.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

m...

I don't know that it is being shot down, as the main objection seems to be the battery dying, and that problem seems to be overblown. The battery dying is not a huge problem, but there is now maintenance involved and the ease and rapidity of swapping out the batteries should be investigated.

If you look at most commercial installations, as already mentioned, the mechanical keyless locks are more or less standard. If I were to go with an electronic lock, I'd probably go with a fingerprint reader

- but of course those will be more expensive.

The lock bumping thing is a problem which is probably pretty easily solved. If a couple of hundred people called up the manufacturer's tech support and asked which models of their locks are bump proof, then told them they would be buying another manufacturer's locks to gain the _required_ security, the manufacturer would probably get the message and start changing over. They'd probably just have to adjust one machine on their assembly line to effect the changeover.

RicodJour

com...

re: "I don't know that it is being shot down..."

You may have mis-interpreted my reply to Mr. Hwang.

He seemed to think I had already made up my to buy the lock and was wondering why I bothered asking.

I was simply explaining my reason for asking and stated that *if* it got shot down I'd look for other options.

In other words, I have not yet made up my mind, even though Mr. Hwang thinks I have.

Reply to
DerbyDad03