Battery Operated Push Button Deadbolts - Opinions?

The residential Schlage changed design, a couple years back. I really hate the new ones. Kwikset has suffered quality, but less so than Schittlage. (just made that one up, now). I'd go Kwikset.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That, and toothpast tubes, too? You have many talents.

I've installed a couple of those battery power Kwiksets. Havn't gotten any complaints. One was for an older fellow who had polio. His right arm doesn't work, and the push button design is easier for him to use.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I sure feel a lot more comfortable with mechanical keys. Not that power goes off every day, but often enough. The Kwikky you show, should give you years of service. Please feed it good quality alkaline or lithium AA cells for good service.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Go with the electronic deadbolt, they are super! We have had them both on our home and on our shop for over four years. Don't worry 'bout the batteries, just change them every two years or so to be on the safe side. Ours are four years old and I have not changed the batteries yet. The neat thing is that you can put in a temporary combination to let someone use for a given period of time and then remove that combination when it is no longer needed. This option is great for when you are going to be gone for a period of time and want to neighbor to check your home every so often.

Don

Reply to
IGot2P

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in news:WWcNm.43044$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe21.iad:

That keyhole is secretly voice recognition.

Reply to
Red Green

snipped-for-privacy@newsfe21.iad:

there are fingerprint door locks available too.

The DNA test ones are coming soon

Reply to
hallerb

I would imagine it is pretty easy to drill a small hole in one of the battery-powered solenoid locks and short it out, with the result being that you can bypass the keypad and gain entry into the house.

The trick, of course, would be having a template for exactly *where* to drill the hole, but since there are only a few models available, it wouldn't take a devoted thief much work to come up with a few.

Add a cordless drill and you're on your way!

Jon (who will stick to mechanical locks)

Reply to
Jon Danniken

re: The trick, of course, would be having a template for exactly

*where* to drill the hole..."

The trick, of course, would be to simply walk around the side of the house, break the widow and get into the garage.

Trust me, there are easier ways to get into my house than drilling through an electronic lock.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Just use em early in the day while they still have a new needle for the blood draw. Later in the day you risk getting infection from someone earlier.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:he7aba $653$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Oh, I thought maybe you stick a hair in the hole...or soemthing else.

Reply to
Red Green

Or a rock, if you don't mind breaking a window.

Reply to
gfretwell

This thread has the potential to get very kinky in a hurry.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

people fret over a single lock security while the burglar wants to avoid work, and would prefer to break a window, or other easy access methods.

Reply to
hallerb

It's keyless, not touchless.

RicodJour

Hi, Ditto. I have a small LED fob on my key ring which helps find key hole in the dark. Living in COLD climate I just can't depend on anything battery operated.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Maybe we're talking at cross-purposes. I thought your point was that the electronic deadbolt wouldn't have enough oomph to retract the bolt if the bolt was tight against the strike plate. My point was that pulling on the doorknob, whether with or without a key is necessary if the bolt is tight. I like to put in my bolts tight so there is no play at all when the door is closed. You have to turn a knob to open a door whether it has an electronic deadbolt, a keyed deadbolt, or no deadbolt at all. What did I misinterpret?

RicodJour

re: "You have to turn a knob to open a door..."

or push a lever.

DerbyDad03

Sigh. Is that touchless?

Smitty was asking what happened if the deadbolt was tight - intimating that there was nothing to pull on on a deadbolt. My point was that it is the extremely rate residential door that has a deadbolt and nothing else.

RicodJour

e:

Sigh. I was being (I thought) humorous.

P.S. If we go with the push button deadbolt, we're going with the lever, so that's why it was at the top of my mind.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I haven't been following the whole thread, but I have used electronic deadbolts for almost 10 years now and am very happy with them. You

*do* get feedback regarding how hard they are working via the noise they make. The noise also tells you when the battery needs to be changed. When the battery isalmost dead, you have to open it twice to fully retract the bolt.
Reply to
greenpjs