Subject Author Posted Replies

AC power failure alarm
Very occasionally the circuit breaker for our EV charger trips. Only twice in three years so not a huge issue but it could be a pain if I had a long trip planned the next day. Is there any simple...
14
14

EDF refuses to get my smart meter display working
Summary of longish saga: in early May we gave in to EDF claiming that our old meters ere past their use-by date, which may well have been true, and got smart gas and electricity meters installed. They...
27
27

HP printer won't reinstall to its original state
I have an HP Laserjet 1200. For years it worked fine via USB cable, but now it only accepts parallel port. I have tried 'removing' the printer from the list, then reinstalling from its CD setup disk,...
8
8

Undersea dressed stone find
I read somewhere and saw a grainy photograph of of blocks of dressed stone discovered when divers went down to repair an undersea cable, either during the late 19th or early 20th century but I cannot...
9
9

TV expertise
Youngish TV. LG32LM6300PLA Occasional over dark display on old movies recorded through a BT set top box. (e.g.. the tall men. sad I know:-) TV brightness setting at 50. I have yet to find a way of...
13
13

An Aga puzzle.
Oil agas are simple brutes. Fill them up with oil, decoke once a year, and they JustWork™. Except mine has taken to popping its fire valve. Let me describe, to those who dont know how one works, the...
6
6

OT: Webform spam issues
Rather than give out a company email address we ask that initial correspondence is by a webform. Once or twice a day I will get the following nonsensical messages, with subject: Если...
8
8

How does this newsgroup stay so uncluttered with spam?
Compared with say uk.politics.misc, uk.d-i-y is amazingly uncluttered with spam and loony anti-social stuff. How come this is so, given the group is unmoderated? And long may it last! A
11
11

Security screws - appliances
I've got a couple of 4-way switched adapters where one switch won't work. The screws that hold them in are different, one has what looks like two indents that might just be accessible with thin long...
14
14

Canon Pixma resolution
I sent it back for repair under warranty (just over a year old) and got a phone call saying they couldn't fix it and are ending me a replacement. Happy days I suppose but hard to understand why it...
8
8

Mount panel Light
Idea is to mount a flat panel light upside down (pointing up) suspended below a plastered ceiling. It's not challenging to mount it, what I've not figured out is how to make the underside look decent....
9
9

Well that was new to me
I got a oxy-propane torch the other day so I could more easily heat metal etc. So I tried it out, worked nicely. Then I thought, I could do with a trolley to cart it about and make it easy (and safe)...
7
7

Laser printer cartridge
My brother laser printer stopped working claiming the black cartridge was empty/done. t wasn't that old. There was no warning. Given these things have chips that control things, has anyone heard of a...
13
13

Large plant tubs and squirrels
Every night the local squirrels that seemed only to have reappeared during the last two weeks, have been digging in the soil of every tub every night and making a bloody mess. Are there successful...
7
7

OT: Instagram
I am not a big fan of social media, which I have successfully resisted (unless Usenet counts as social media, that is). I am wondering about a limited foray into Instagram to be able to send periodic...
10
10