AC power failure alarm

Very occasionally the circuit breaker for our EV charger trips. Only twice in three years so not a huge issue but it could be a pain if I had a long trip planned the next day.

Is there any simple device that could provide an alarm is such circumstances? I thinking about something wired Into the feed for the charger with a bit of battery back up.

There are some cheap units on Amazon but when I saw that most of them have no fuses (including the ones with 3 pin plugs) I decided that they were too cheap and dodgy.

Is wiring into the same supply as the charger a no-no? If it is, is there a better/safer way of doing it?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

You should try and investigate why the circuit breaker is tripping?

Reply to
SH

I could, but with two trips in three years I suspect it could take far more time, effort and money than it justifies. It seems that this is a common event with many chargers, which doesn’t make it okay but it looks like mine is better than average.

An alarm that lets me know on the rare occasions that it trips would be a lot easier.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

It can be perfectly acceptable not to have fuses. For example, some mains transformers are certified as being short-circuit proof and the safety regulations permit the use of such devices without input fuses. Doing this reduces the number of safety-critical components which need to have traceable sourcing, so there is a real advantage. John

Reply to
John Walliker

Ok you could wire in a single 13A socket from that MCB and plug one of these in?

SH

That may be true but I’m not using anything that’s fitted with an illegal three pin plug. (No fuse, semi-shrouded earth pin). Doesn’t speak highly of the potential safety of the rest of the device.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

He is not clear if this is a localised circuit only which is tripping as if it was not surely the house would go off and that would be rather noticeable. If its just the EV circuit, then really you need to get the people who fitted it in to check for leaks or dodgy connections. If its not there, it could be the car itself of course. Whichever it is it would be a swine to find unless you are allowed to use something like a megger on the circuit without damaging the system. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I made one long ago. rechargeable 9v battery, trickle charged with a small psu & resistor, and bulb of some sort. Just add a mains relay to keep the thing not lit/sounding.

Reply to
Animal

The car presumably has a computer.

Does it have comms ?

Does the car send an email when charging is complete ?

The car will be powered at all times, and it could send a message if charging terminated abnormally.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

The car does, but I don’t read notifications in the middle of the night. It normally starts charging after 11:30 pm which is past my bed time. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

That would work but I really don’t need or want all the bells and whistles that thing includes. Just a beeper will do fine.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Random thought, but would a small UPS include an audible alarm?

Sledgehammer to crack a nut, though.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

I guess your charger circuit is 220V

Amazon.com: Watris Veiyi 120db Power Failure Outlet Alarm, Smart Outage Alarm Warning Siren, Automatic Power Cut Failure Alerter for Home Office Shop, Power by 9V Battery (NOT Included), 220V : Electronics

This one is 120V

Amazon.com: ENDMAN Power Failure Alarm for Freezer Alarm, Power Outage Alarm,Power Loss Alarm with Rechargeable Battery (Included) >95dB : Electronics

invalid unparseable

certainly, the one I have to power my incoming router has an audio alarm.

Reply to
charles