Canon Pixma resolution

I sent it back for repair under warranty (just over a year old) and got a phone call saying they couldn't fix it and are ending me a replacement. Happy days I suppose but hard to understand why it couldnot be fixed

Reply to
fred

It probably could be, but the cost of dismantling, locating the fault, replacing the component and reassembling would be more than simply picking up a new one at the end of the assembly line, especially if that line was primarily robotic.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Plastic engineering again. I do feel that industry has not got the memo about repairable tech yet. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Cheap inkjet printers are throw-away items. They don't even come with proper ink cartridges to cut the selling price. They have special cartridges that will only do a limited number of pages.

The profit for Canon is the continuous supply of replacement cartridges, where much of the content is wasted by the printer every time it is powered up and does a self test and head cleaning operation.

I just print to PDF format, copy to a USB stick and use the local Library wizz-bang photocopier that also prints from external USB sticks.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

cheaper to send a new one than mess with it

Reply to
Animal

On the contrary this particular model, Pixma G650, has large ink tanks which cn be refilled

Reply to
fred

Well that is what a warranty is for. When they say they couldn't fix it it's more likely that it isn't economically viable. And that customer service is worth more important i.e not keeping you waiting for a week while the part arrives, or the printer's sent back half way across the world to be fixed.

Reply to
whisky-dave

But it wasn't cheap, as in under 50 quid, like this one

You must have paid about 200+ pounds for that one.

The key phrase on Currys website is that the printer comes with 'full ink tanks' I suspect. You only seem to see this on the more expensive models.

Reply to
Andrew

The G6050 we have now had for three years, is still on its original fill of ink. And I still have two full bottles (170mL each) of black which came with it. Should last another six years until I need more black, and, judging by the colour tanks, anothre three before they need refilling. Printer cost £300 or so, a lot of which is being saved on ink and it's also worth it on the convenience.

Reply to
Tim Streater