Subject Author Posted Replies

Toilet cistern question
We have a toilet cistern with one of those dual-flush split buttons in the lid, B&Q's Cooke&Lewis own brand (whoever they are!). Recently, due to water board work on the mains supply in our area,...
3
3

OT:NHS fuckwittery.
Had to visit a friend in the new Queen Elizabeth hospital in Brum over the weekend. The building is absolutely colossal - I vague recall it was one of the biggest building projects in the country....
21
21

PC Hard Disk question..?
HI Folks Kinda DIY - as I'm trying to do it myself .... Have 'successfully' cloned my old winxp c: drive to a new (1 terabyte) drive - using some free s/w XXCLONE. Nearly all is good, though it took a...
32
32

Test Meter Recommendation
Hi all, Back in my day when we wanted to test household cable insulation we got out a Megger and cranked its little handle up to 500V to check for leaks. But they don't seem to make these nifty little...
108
108

Mystery SMPS IC
Trying to source data (and possibly a part) for a switched mode psu control ic. Number is either BE737423 or 13E737423. This is on the main board of a small monochrome display monitor and seems to...
14
14

Patching window frame with car body filler
This is a top hung DG window frame in pine - possible someone like Magnet as the source. It's done 23 years so I perhaps should be grateful that just one of the six in the extension has deteriorated....
14
14

fitting a loft ladder
Is there a minimum size for the entrance hatch for fitting these? My new flat has an opening which is 55 by 55 (cm) with 30 cm joists around all 4 sides. I'm having difficulty determining from the...
18
18

New use for angle grinder
Taking a fishing hook out....ouch! Liveleak.com - Polish man with a fishing hook in his leg..
3
3

Repairing old slate roof
Hello, Photos showing this at Please could I ask for advice from anyone who has experience of repairing old slate roofs? Two adjacent rafters on the same side of the roof have slipped down where they...
6
6

Repair to old slate roof
Hello, Photos showing this at Please could I ask for advice from anyone who has experience of repairing old slate roofs? Two adjacent rafters on the same side of the roof have slipped down where they...
1
1

Achieving an even finish with Hammerite
Hi all, I've spent 70 quid on new bits for this oil immersed welder I bought a whil e ago and it's now back in top condition electro-mechanically speaking. But the outside casing has been badly...
8
8

3 phase cable question
The 3 phase cable I have that's still connected up to this rather large lat he I bought has some unfamiliar colours making it up. There's a braided shi eld round the outside which I assume is for...
28
28

Knife Sharpening Q
While I can sharpen knives, chisels, planes to razor edge and with correct angle ......... never sharpened a serrated edge knife. I have several Kitchen Devil Knives ... good quality, and I regularly...
2
2

New Battery Technology ?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Two-i-Lion-DMW-BCM13E-BCM13-Battery-for-Panasonic-DMC-TZ41-DMC-TZ40-ZS30-FT5-TS5-/261242082300?pt=UK_Camera_Batteries&hash=item3cd33dd3fc...
5
5

Laying wooden flooring
I'm planning to lay solid wood T&G flooring as a floating floor. The sub-floor is concrete Currently there is an old carpet with little pile and underlay. I see differing advice on laying the wood...
8
8