Achieving an even finish with Hammerite

Hi all,

I've spent 70 quid on new bits for this oil immersed welder I bought a whil e ago and it's now back in top condition electro-mechanically speaking. But the outside casing has been badly neglected and most of the original paint is gone. Anyway, I've splashed out on some Hammerite (hammer finish type) in dark gr een to maintain the original colour and was wondering the best way to apply it for an even finish. I've no access to sprayguns so I thought about usin g a small foam roller for the purpose. Would that do the trick or has anyon e a better suggestion?

cheers.

Reply to
orion.osiris

Stippling with a brush works quite well as long as you apply the right amount - don't try to spread it on thin, don't go back over bits you've done.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Getting it clean & grease free is key.

get Hammerite well stirred - much more than normal paint .... apply with a 2-3" brush, and apply thickly, after about 2-3 mins you can go over lightly with brush to smooth out ... then don't be tempted to do that again later as it will drag.

Wr4ap brush in cling film to stop it going off.

Once touch dry, put on second coat ... if you leave it longer you have to wait a couple of weeks before putting on 2nd coat. Throw brush away.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

while ago and it's now back in top condition electro-mechanically speaking. But the outside casing has been badly neglected and most of the original p aint is gone.

k green to maintain the original colour and was wondering the best way to a pply it for an even finish. I've no access to sprayguns so I thought about using a small foam roller for the purpose. Would that do the trick or has a nyone a better suggestion?

Thanks, guys. I've got some Gunk for degreasing purposes. Will that be sufficient by itse lf or do I need to go over it again afterwards with meths or something?

Reply to
orion.osiris

Those are "old" instructions. Just used some "new" hammerite, albeit smooth not hammered, and the instructions on the tin said minimal stiring, recoat in four hours (touch was about an hour maybe less) and nothing about having to wait weeks if you miss the recoat timing.

It's certainly bung a good amount on, brush out and leave. If you go back and "fiddle" it will drag. It's a bit like the "one coat" gloss paints, a balance between enough to self level but not so uch it runs.

Cling film while still required then chuck is still correct. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

See previous post, Hammerite has changed. Read the instructions on the tin. Wire brush and remove dust with damp cloth is what I remember for my hinges but they didn't have any oil/grease on them so there maybe a degrease requirement that I didn't pay any attention to.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Throw the Hammerite away and use POR15.

Reply to