hammerite thinner

I'm sure this crops up all them time but is there a cheaper alternative to hammerite thinner/brush cleaner ?

Reply to
news.virgin.net

I wouldn't bother cleaning a hammerite brush - easier and probably "greener" just to chuck it.

Reply to
teddysnips

Yes - cellulose thinners works fine - but not ordinary white spirit.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Petrol, or was it Parrafin?

Reply to
George

Thats what Id do,use a cheap brush for hammerite and then sling it.

Reply to
George

Thanks, I'll see how much a bottle is but the brushes were super cheap anyway.

Thanks again,

Bruce.

Reply to
news.virgin.net

Petrol. It cleans most things, then set fire to the brush.

Reply to
gazzafield

I use very cheap brushes, then wash them under running hot water, massaging soap into the bristles. Seems to work fine.

Reply to
davey

Not sure about thinner, but I used to use cellulose thinners to clean brushes..hard to get ALL of the metallic bits out tho.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Petrol is the thinner for Hammerite.

Slatts

Reply to
Sla#s

I use cheap 'use and throw' brushes from Toolstation (13p for a 25mm brush). The ends of the bristles are a bit uneven but 5 seconds with a large pair of scissors soon cures that.

Reply to
Alan

It may be *a* thinner, but it isn't *the* thinner. Far too volatile to be distributed safely. Xylene rings a bell

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I've used MIBK as a thinner for Hammerite.

Reply to
Frank Erskine