fitting a loft ladder

Is there a minimum size for the entrance hatch for fitting these?

My new flat has an opening which is 55 by 55 (cm) with 30 cm joists around all 4 sides.

I'm having difficulty determining from the pictures/description if any of the manufactures make something that will fit.

TIA

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Every make has its own requirements. The hatch to roof measurement is important, but often overlooked

Reply to
stuart noble

I think that 55's a bit marginal! Most ladders I've come across are stowed partially over the hatch, hinged on one side - and you have to be be able to pull the free end down through the hole. I just measured mine, and it extends into the aperture by just over 60cm - so 55 would be no good in my case.

Having said that, this 3-section jobbie from Screwfix claims to need an opening of 432 x 508 - so should fit, providing you've got the requisite

1050mm of headroom in the attic.
Roger Mills

Also, check that there is enough room for the ladder when in place in the loft. I can't install one, as there is no room for the ladder up there, unless I make a complete new access hole. Being hard up against a chimney eliminates two directions completely.

Reply to
Davey

Not even one of the lattice concertina type rather than a rigid multisection ladder.

tml

Ain't cheap tho'

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Even if you find something that will fit, it will likely be very awkward getting the ladder up and down, never mind getting yourself (and any other objects) through the hole.

Any reason (structurally wise) not to be able to cut a section out of one of the joists and put a couple of stringers in, thereby doubling the width of the hole?

--------------------------

--------|-----------|------ | |

--------| |------ | |

--------|-----------|------

---------------------------

Reply to
Lobster

Holy cow. Here's a cheaper one, which I have:

This one probably won't work for the OP, as minimum size 43x57. (I have this ladder, and actually only need an opening of 43x55 as the loft ladder is slightly set back in the hatch (i.e. the opening is slightly smaller than the space between the joists. Would still be very tight to fit into 55 though.

Reply to
Piers

There's no problem at all for it to "slide" up unto the loft for stowage.

But then it would have to fix to the top of the joist, which might mean that a combination of the joist depth and the small opening size made it impossible to actually climb up and into the loft when open?

tim

Reply to
tim.....

you're right

it would be cheaper to go and buy a garage to store my stuff in :-)

(and then I'd have an appreciating asset)

tim

Reply to
tim.....

It's a leasehold flat. It wouldn't be a good idea to just do this, and asking for permission will open up a whole can of worms as the loft isn't "officially" mine

tim

Reply to
tim.....

I think I can manage that. I wouldn't want to be going up there at all if I didn't.

But it seems to be connected to a much shallower joist than I have :-(

tim

Reply to
tim.....

I can always remember a comedy film of some people doing DIY back in must have been the 70s, this guy fitted a loft ladder and he proudly slid it up and put the top end straight through his bungalow roof. Well it was funny at the time. i doubt anyone would be daft enough to not allow the room for that. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It does seem rather small. Mine was about 60x60 and using an ordinary ladder (section from a double) left barely enough room to get in. When I fitted a proper ladder I made the hole about 110 long, but the joinery allowed this and the joists are only 7cm - I wouldn't consider cutting 30cm!

Perhaps a vertical ladder with hooks might work - no fitting and almost all of the space free to get through.

Reply to
PeterC

Just remember that if its a roof the "joists" will probably be under tension, quite a lot of it. I wouldn't cut a trussed rafter unless a steel frame had been fitted first. No, take that back, I wouldn't cut it at all.

Reply to
dennis

You can say that again!! [And watch the wrap on the link].

Reply to
Roger Mills

That doesn't follow automatically. The ladder could potentially fold into a sloping part of the roof with inadequate headroom even there there may be enough for you to step into on the other side.

That shouldn't really matter - except insofar as it will slightly reduce the already small space for you to squeeze through when the ladder is down at an angle. Watch your back on the opposite side of the hatch!

Reply to
Roger Mills

I just bought a ladder that is meant to be fitted, but isn't. It has a handrail, and extends well up into the loft when positioned, so does the job fine. I keep it in a cupboard nearby.

Reply to
Davey

Yes, indeed. Any ladder will do if you have somewhere to store it - it doesn't have to be a fitted loft ladder. To minimise the storage space required, a telescopic ladder such as the ones sold by Maplin may be ok.

Reply to
Roger Mills

To add insult to injury (or maybe vice versa?) some pillock (ahem) fitted a touch latch to the hatch frame for our hinged trapdoor, and it's carefully positioned so that it catches the unwary right in the small of the back as you ascend the ladder...

Reply to
Lobster