PC Hard Disk question..?

HI Folks Kinda DIY - as I'm trying to do it myself <g>....
Have 'successfully' cloned my old winxp c: drive to a new (1 terabyte) drive - using some free s/w XXCLONE.
Nearly all is good, though it took a long time...
Only problem now is that the new drive won't boot on its own. Under a dual-boot setup I can 'make' it boot manually, but if only the new drive is installed in the PC then it wont boot - just hangs with a flashing cursor.
Seems that the new drive is set up as a logical partition, not as a primary partition - thinking that could be the problem ..?
So - does anybody know of an easy (ideally free!) way to change logical partitions into primary partitions..? I've already considered "angle-grinder"!
Thanks
On Mon, 05 Aug 2013 08:00:18 +0100, Adrian Brentnall

terabyte)

drive

flashing

logical

Gparted will do that. You need the "live CD" version.
--
Reentrant

On 05/08/13 08:00, Adrian Brentnall wrote:

a thought. Is the new disk in the primary place the BIOS expects to find as a bootable disk?
Is the boot loader installed on it?
It is possible that the atual squence you have set up is that
BIOS looks at original boot disk, loads boot loader. boot loader on first disk is now configured to boot from second disk
and that is what you mean by 'manual booting' But no boot loader exists at all on the second disk.
Or the bios is not set to boot from a disk in that position.
IIRC a primary partition is one with space reserved at the start for a boot loader.
I would if I were you:
first check the BIOS to see what the boot order is
if that seems to be correct then reclone the disk - possibly using something more robust.
If you can bear to type things, here is a Linux live CD used to create, format and stick the boot record on a new disk, and then copy the whole existing installation (warts and all) using DD, and finally to resize the new installation so that its as big as the disk, not as big as the old installation was.
http://www.nilbus.com/linux/disk-copy.php
As a linux user, that's what I would use.
dd'ing the first 446 bytes of the old drive is the key to smacking the bootloader on the new disk. And setting te boot flag and type
the partition resizing i f your don't have gui tools is a bit arcane. Parted is not that user friendly.
--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc’-ra-cy) – a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Yes - tried telling it that -but it just sits & sulks on boot if only the new disk is present.

Probably not - though it's showing 'healthy(boot)' in XP disk management, while the old drive (that does boot) shows up as 'healthy(system)'

Yes - very possible. The xxclone software has a tool that updated boot.ini (on the original disk) to suggest multiple boot disk option - and this is how I've managed to boot up and run the new hard disk.

I think I've got that bit right. When it fails to boot (when just the new disk is present)it's visible in the bios, but just won't boot from it

the bois doesn't seem to be specific about 'which' hdd to boot from - so the order is cd.. hdd..

I was happy enough with the cloning process (except for the booting bit!) I tried Arconis, which wouldn't even install, plus a few others. Apparently Ghost is no longer being sold.

I was raised on command line interfaces <g> - but was hoping for a 'load this software and click this button' solution - getting lazy in my old age!
Clonezilla seems to automate the process, and makes specific reference to making the new disk bootable (which seems to be the bit that I'm missing with my current setup). Bit of an annoyance, as last night's clone operation took best part of 5 hours....<g>
Thanks Adrian
On 05/08/2013 08:00, Adrian Brentnall wrote:

I think this may be a case of not wanting to start from here...
Grab yourself a copy of Maxblast[1] (seagate web site), and have that do a clone of the drive - that will produce a perfect copy - scaled to the size of the new drive and also with the same partition type and layout.
[1] Its basically a copy of Acronis True Image limited to work on seagate and maxtor drives. So ideally you need at least one of them on your system. However if you don't have one, boot it as normal, then when you get the error popup telling you it can't find a seagate or maxtor drive, hold down ALT and key TO (for Technical Override)
--
Cheers,

John.
On 05/08/2013 10:16, John Rumm wrote:

I was afraid that might be the answer!

Hmm - it was one of the Acronis 'bought' offerings that I started with - it refused to run at all, their online support was less use than a chocolate teapot, and I actually managed to get a refund from Paypal!
Still - I might give it a try, if PartitionMagic or similar doesn't do the trick...
It was so much easier back in the old days when you simply swapped the platter on the 10Mb drive, formatted it and then fed it 3 floppy disks to reinstall dos! Happy days <g> Thanks
On 05/08/13 10:42, Adrian Brentnall wrote:

TBH you can still do that, and then copy the old disk over.
That is essentially how I clone linux - back up the old shite as files, then reinstall from scratch and whack the new disk with as much of the old data as I need.
--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc’-ra-cy) – a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

The main snag is reinstalling programmes. If you clone, you don't have to reinstall anything.
Windows accumulates a load of crud over time, so a change of hard disk is a great opportunity to do a clean re-install of everything.
I would say that it only accumulates crud if you let it. I've had essentially the same build since 2004, with one major revamp in 2007. Both P4s are running the original W2k version, and this laptop is running the version upgraded to XP.
The only crud that accumulates are things in the Temp folders, but by definition nearly of these can simply be deleted, and all the update installation files in the Windows directory, and if you do a reinstall you'd still have the latter anyway - I wouldn't mind them so much if only MS would bury them in a sub-directory of their own, so that you don't have to scroll past myriads of them to reach what is important in the Windows directory.

On 05/08/13 12:41, GB wrote:

reinstalling programs is so damned simple on Linux anyway.
Just select them and click 'apply'

Or install Linux..
--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc’-ra-cy) – a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Interrupted by a realisation that you are missing a licence key or an install disc for something.
On 05/08/2013 22:21, The Other Mike wrote:

Precisely what I was hoping to avoid...
Anyway - update...
Clonezilla did a good job, but (because I told it to) it copied the 240Gb old windows drive to a 240Gb partition on the new 1Tb drive.
Downloaded a prog off the web for free (can't remember its name - PartitionWizard or somesuch) and asked it to expand the partition for me. PC rebooted, the program did its work, and rendered the volume unusable. grand! Thanks!
So... set Clonezilla to work again, this time in 'expert' mode (Are you sure that's wise, Cap'n Mainwairing ?) and it re-cloned the small disk to the large disk, this time creating a nice big partition on the new disk. The new drive then booted OK.
Original drive was quite badly fragmented - which is presumably why XXCLONE spent so long over the copy (5 hours) as it also defrags on the fly. Now defragging the new disk under windows xp, and hoping that tomorrow is a better day.
Thanks all for your help & comments G'night!
On 05/08/13 22:31, Adrian Brentnall wrote:

WELL DONE!
--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc’-ra-cy) – a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

With a little help from my friends! <grin>
As I say - Clonezilla made a an exact copy of the old disk - which defragged overnight. On looking at the defrag result this morning, it still looked a bit untidy, so I asked defrag to re-analyse the new disk, and, sure enough, it's having a second 'pass' at it... (but going a bit faster this time!)
Have to put the case back on the pc later - and decide what to do with the old 250Gb hard drive. Might stick it back in the case and use it for 'internal' backups, rather than the motley collection of small usb-connected drives I have been using.
Seems a shame just to stick it in a cardboard box in the loft along with ten or so other 'upgraded' hard drives, ranging from 10Mb up..
Thanks again - I'd have been stuck without uk-diy
On 05/08/2013 22:21, The Other Mike wrote:

I wouldn't say that I am very organised, but even I make a copy on the HDD of all my install disks and license keys.

Seagate discwizard is the same iirc, certainly does the resizing and is based on True Image
http://www.seagate.com/gb/en/support/downloads/discwizard/
On 05/08/2013 11:00, The Other Mike wrote:

Yup same thing. There is also a Western Digital version for folks with WD drives.
--
Cheers,

John.
On 05/08/2013 08:00, Adrian Brentnall wrote:

Tools like Partition Magic will let you transmute disk partition configurations with data in place and a relatively low risk of data loss - but you should back up anything you care about first.
Could it be that the old disk was formatted FAT32 and new one is NTFS?
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
On 05/08/2013 10:17, Martin Brown wrote:

Yes - understood - backups are in place already!

Don't think so - ntfs on both disks Thanks
On 05/08/2013 10:17, Martin Brown wrote:

PM is getting a bit long in the tooth now... a GParted live CD works well though.
--
Cheers,

John.