disk imaging software

All the ones advertised seem to offer all manner of partitioning functions as well, which is pricy and which I do not need. Can anyone recommend one that simply makes a complete disk imnage - without any of the other bells and whistles?

Jim Hawkins

Reply to
Jim Hawkins

Clonezilla.

Reply to
Adrian

linux live CD, and DD.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I clone disks using Acronis True Image 2013 It has all the back-up disk bells and whistles but the clone disk menu option is just select source and destination and press 'go'

I usually back up my internal laptop hard disk this way using an external USB hard disk as the destination location.

I have also fitted a backup made this way into my laptop and it worked flawlessly as did booting from an external USB disk

It's around £40 but there is a 30 day trail before buy

Reply to
alan

dd

Reply to
nick

dd

Reply to
Huge

In article , Jim Hawkins writes

Most of the hard drive manufacturers have done deals to provide imaging software that ease the installation of their new drives so you can get pretty much fully functional imaging software for free.

Taking Western Digital as an example, they have a dedicated version of Acronis True Image on their website, fully functional if you use WD. The software does need a WD drive to be present but it doesn't need to be either the target or destination so if it's just a one off job then you can pop a spare WD drive in for the duration of the image.

Personally I find True image to be bloat ware so uninstall it when I have finished imaging (it also tries to phone home after the completion of every imaging operation).

I'm sure Seagate has something similar and their stable now includes Maxtor so one set of software will do any drive in that family.

If all this fails then you can acquire a copy of the last full fat version of Hiren's Boot CD, it has a range of (pay) imaging and partitioning tools that you can run without installation, have a google for this. His current version has freeware tools only and is less useful.

Reply to
fred

En el artículo , Adrian escribió:

+1.

Easeus Disk Copier also works well, for those that find Clonezilla a bit intimidating.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Have a look at Paragon Hard Disk Manager. It has all that stuff but it's cheap. In fact it has been given away on cover CDs in the past.

Reply to
Bob Eager

En el artículo , The Natural Philosopher escribió:

*nix is case sensitive...
Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

+2 Make sure you read the prompts, as when I used it (recently) it asks for the destination drive FIRST

It is also freeware - I used it to close a number of Dell Optiplex PC's after creating one master image (using a Clonezilla boot CD and a USB hard disk) - worked a treat.

Reply to
Toby

Seconded. Free, fast, it works.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

I've been pleased with Driveimage XML; nice simple and straightforward GUI.

Reply to
Scott M

works well for me.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Not tried it with the WD version, but certainly on the Maxtor/Seagate one, boot it until you get the "error" popup that it can't find a suitable manufacturers drive, then hit ALT+T, ALT+O (for "Technition Override") - it will then carry on and work fine even with out a branded drive (this is a requirement for when the drive brand is obscured by being on a USB interface etc)

Reply to
John Rumm

DriveImage XML works fine here and is free.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

En el artículo , fred escribió:

You can press a key sequence at the opening screen to bypass the requirement for the maker's drive to be present. Buggered if I can remember what it is, and google isn't helping, but it's something like alt-T, alt-A. Someone here will know

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

+1

As far as PCs go I am thick, as my IT friends will confirm. I managed to use Clonzilla successfully without any outside help, so it must be good!

Reply to
Bill

In message , Jim Hawkins writes

One of the problems of copying stuff from one disk to another is long filenames. In my case, these are usually saved HTML files of websites.

Where a 'too long' file name is encountered, the transfer simply stops dead, and you then have the task of finding what it is, and either shortening it or deleting it, then re-starting the transfer (more-or-less ad infinitum) until you're finally finished. It would be nice if the transfer could continue and you got a report of the files that could not be transferred. How do (or can) any of the recommended programs deal with this situation?

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Macrium freebie does all you need - image, partition, etc.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon