Subject Author Posted Replies

2" wide slit trench
I've just laid underground drainage using 80mm permeable pipe in trenches t hat were 6 inches wide and up to 24 inches deep. What I want to do now is t o create some very narrow slit trenches that can...
29
29

uPVC window lock repair - security rods seized within frame?
Hi All I'm looking at repairing a problem with a window lock on a uPVC window. The 'reported fault' is that the window locking no longer works. It looks to me as though there is a gearbox into which...
2
2

Hollow wall fixings
I'm hanging blinds in two patio-door recesses. The top surface of the reveal is plasterboard. then a space (presumably where the plasterboard was dot-and-dabbed) then what seems to be a pretty hefty...
21
21

[OT] Butterflies
Every spring, I have to rescue butterflies from my shed. I can see them fluttering against the window, from house or garden, and released four yesterday. Question is, what are they doing in there? I...
18
18

Save me from Ikea cr*p
My daughter bought a ceiling light from Ikea,so I went up to fit it. what absolute rubbish, naff plastic, a patent device to hold the wires, hardly grips them. No way to fix the light securely to the...
48
48

Cleaning a pond
We seem to have accumulated quite a lot of grubby, muddy silt at the bottom of the pond that the fish keep stirring up and which is clogging the filters. Any recommendations for some kind of...
13
13

What's the best way to do this?
I want to make a minimalist wine rack. The idea is a nice piece of timber roughly floor joist shaped, screwed vertically to the wall, and with 30mm holes through it to take the wine bottle necks....
25
25

PCI-e connectors
I'm way out of my knowledge and comfort zones here. Not come across PCI-e until this morning. Son has a gaming PC, and has a Geforce GTX 1080 graphics card to install, to replace a Geforce GTX 670...
4
4

Local Councils to be told to take waste fee-free
At last! It is blatantly clear that part of the cause of fly-tipping is the fact that it is so difficult to dispose of waste. We used to have a council-run rubbish/recycling centre near us, then it...
93
93

Lidl Li-ion circular saw
Anyone got/used one of these? £50 currently in Lidl. I feel I might get more done due to the convenience of it. And if it's less powerful than a plug-in, i'd prefer using it.
10
10

Sheds - Easter Discounts?
Anybody know if anything's coming up that would make a deferred purchase (£500ish) worthwhile? Wickes has what I need, but other sheds might be OK.
26
26

Karcher Vari - Power Lance
Mine seems to have lost the ability to focus the jet into a knif-like Jet. I am wondering if a washer inside may have eroded away. Any ideas?

TomTom
Any experts here? Have an XXL, a few years old, and tried to buy the latest UK maps using TomTom Home 2. Everything goes just fine - until I come to pay. Neither Paypal or credit card works. Can't get...
47
47

Recommendations for hard wood flooring supplier?
Preferably "engineered" (i.e. real wood top, bonded to something dimensionally stable) rather than laminate or solid.
14
14

Sliding mitre saw - recommendations?
I need to replace my old Rexon chop saw with a sliding mitre saw so I can cut some 9" timber. The 255mm Rage saw from Screwfx was tempting, but quite a few reviews say it gave inaccurate cuts. Any...
9
9