PCI-e connectors

I'm way out of my knowledge and comfort zones here. Not come across PCI-e until this morning.

Son has a gaming PC, and has a Geforce GTX 1080 graphics card to install, to replace a Geforce GTX 670 card.

The 670 has two 6 pin sockets and the leads from the power supply have two 6 pin plugs (but see below).

The new 1080 has two 8 pin sockets but came with two converter cables, each of which has two 6 pin sockets and one 8 pin plug.

However, the original power supply leads, which were connected to the

670, also each have an additional 2 pin plug.

I have read the Wiki page on the subject, but am not much wiser. By carefully studying the profiles of the various plugs and sockets, we have connected one 6 pin and one 2 pin power supply lead to each of the two 1080 8 pin sockets, and that seems to work in that the PC is running and the new card configuration screen is there.

I suppose I really just want someone to say Yes! that is how it should be done :-) We have not used the little converter (?) leads that came with the card.

Reply to
Graeme

Yes you're fine, the 6+2 cables from your power supply can be connected to either 6pin, or 8pin sockets on cards

Reply to
Andy Burns

Does anyone understand the logic of an eight pin PCIe connector carrying five ground wires and three +12V wires, rather than four of each as the eight pin EPS12 connector does?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Thanks Andy. It certainly all seems to be running, and he says at optimum speed or whatever, so we seem to have muddled through.

Reply to
Graeme

2 of the "ground" wires are "sense" wires that the card can use to determine whether the 6 or 8 pin plugs have been attached to the card.

At least that's the official definition...

Reply to
Lee