2-pin plug supplied

I just bought a new electric toothbrush, one of the Oral-B ones, pretty much universally available. Tesco wanted £35, Morrisons wanted £17.50 for the exact same mode l, so that's where we bought it. But when unpacked, (after much fighting and cussing) it only has a 2-pin plug, which would be fine if we had one of those bathroom 120v transformer/sockets, but we don't. As it happens, I have lots of suitable 3pin-to-2pin adaptors. But is the supplier (Morrisons, who probably have no idea what they sell) not obliged to supply a UK-ready device? I think I saw something about this recently, but can't remember where, nor the outcome.

Reply to
Davey

There's a provision in the Regulations for shavers and similar items to be used in bathrooms, which have 2 pin plugs suitable for shaver outlets. It should be a proper UK shaver plug though, not a Euro 2-pin.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

A bathroom shaver socket has a transformer fitted and is isolated from the mains supply. This makes it next to impossible to get an electric shock. The bathroom socket can only supply a few watts This is why shavers and toothbrushes have a special plug, so only they can fit into the bathroom socket .

Reply to
harryagain

I'm almost sure tht toothbrushes all come with the shaver plugs these days, as do, um shavers. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes and as far as I am aware, the voltage can legally be 230v. Most devices that run off these plugs are supposed to compensate. I have noticed, however that there do seem to be two varieties of this plug, one with slightly thinner pins. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

"Brian Gaff" wrote in news:lls766$nke$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

And they don't fit into European sockets so you need an adaptor on the continent

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Most shaver sockets I see have sockets which will allow a variety of different shaped two pin plugs from overseas to fit, flat two pin, ,angled two pin . I doubt if all these plugs are just for toothbrushes and shavers The UK shaver plug has the same pin size and spacing as an old 2 pin 5 amp plug so if I so desired i would have no trouble plugging an ancient lamp from by Grans House which has been packed away for about

50 years. Equally I do know of a premises that still has a 2 pin 5 amp socket in place. A toothbrush could easily be plugged in.

So your statement

is wrong.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

But I don't have a bathroom shaver socket, so what am I supposed to do?

Reply to
Davey

You can use an adapter, but can I suggest charging the toothbrush outside the bathroom. I certainly would not run an extension flex into the bathroom.

Reply to
GB

Tooth brushes like razors seem to always come with two pin 'shaver plugs. Essential when they were mains - but rather strange when they are re-chargeable. My shaver socket is only live when the bathroom lights are on. But even if it weren't, it's a silly place to re-charge a razor, etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In message , Davey writes

A quick, cost effective answer would be to buy a manual one!

No electrical worries, no need to buy batteries and can be used any where at any time.

Reply to
Bill

No argument, but ever since starting to use en electric one, I have loved the extra power and depth of cleaning that it gives. The same for my wife. I keep a manual one for emergencies.

Reply to
Davey

Nor would I. There is a convenient socket just outside the bathroom, which is perfect, but it's the principle that surprises me. But of course, it's a lot cheaper to just fit a simple fuse-less 2-pin plug rather than a spec. UK fused 3-pin one. As I mentioned, I do have several adaptors, but that's by luck, not design. What if I had none? Would the seller be required to give me one, and if not, why not? I purchased an appliance, in the UK, for use in a UK household, and it does not work as purchased.

Reply to
Davey

I don't know the law, but you can look up the regs as easily as anybody. You are just assuming that the regs say the plug supplied has to be a 3 pin one.

Reply to
GB

The charger is intended to be used in the bathroom, just like a shaver, so it must have a two-pin plug. Would you complain if a shaver had a two-pin plug (as they all do)?

-- Richard

Reply to
Richard Tobin

In message , Davey writes

No comment.................

Reply to
Bill

In message , snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk writes

It depends what you mean by 'just for'. I think you'll find that all such bathroom outlets are labelled "For shavers only".

Reply to
Ian Jackson

The MK one I've got omits the "for"

Reply to
charles

+1
Reply to
Roger Mills

Glad to hear that your wife has lots of power and depth of cleaning!

What does a manual wife look like?

Reply to
Roger Mills