2-pin plug supplied

As others have said, the most likely use is in the bathroom, using a shaver socket. If if came fitted with a 13A 3-pin plug, you wouldn't be able to do that. But, the way it is, you *can* use it in a 13A socket outside the bathroom by using an adaptor - albeit not supplied with it.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Your hand.

Reply to
Bob Eager

In message , Davey writes

Get a 3 pin - 2 pin adapter and charge your tooth brush outside the bathroom

Reply to
bert

In what way is it silly given that is where I use the said shaver and toothbrush.

Reply to
bert

Buy a shaver adapter to plug into a 13A socket. Or cut the plug off and fit a new plug. They are fine on 240V mains.

Reply to
dennis

Certainly adds possibilities to "RTFM"

Reply to
PeterC

Which is what they were developed for, it's probably too awkard to change the lettering or get type approval to account for the development of Electric toothbrushes which I wouldn't be too surprised were well on the way to be more more numerous than electric shavers as the whole family can usually use them.

Any how my comment was about the the two pin plugs not the sockets which Harry was trying to suggest were special to Shavers and toothbrushes. Shavers and toothbrushes may be the last common use of round two pin plugs in the UK but the American flat two pin plug and the flat angled two pin plug used In Australasia/ China which these shaver units also take are still used for lots of things besides shavers and tooth brushes , It will be rare that a foreign user will bring such an appliance over and attempt to use it in a UK shaver socket, but I bet a US travel Iron has blown a few Hotel ones as the user has seen the possiblity of plugging in.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

If it is mains operated. you have no choice but to power it from a special socket in the bathroom. If it is rechargeable, it can be plugged in somewhere rather safer.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Two pin plugs have been normal for shavers and toothbrushes for as long as I can remember.

Use an adapter, widely available.

I have noticed that a lot of hotel bathrooms don't now have a shaver socket, I expect the thinking is that we all use rechargeable.

personally I don't like rechargeable shavers, I expect 15-20 years out of a Philishave, and get it, batteries wouldn't last that long.

I bought a Philishave for my son, the same model was twice the price in Argos compared to Boots next door, but it was a rechargeable one. I couldn't find a mains one, are they still made?

Reply to
Graham.

And as a warning - our light-come-shaver-adapter died. I bought another, only to find it would only charge with the light on. Forcing me to waste

60W while charging at 2W :(

I charged it elsewhere.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

My bathroom light was like that, as supplied. So I re-engineered it to power the transformer from the incoming live rather than the switched live. Why don't you do the same? This *is* a DIY group!

[I have put a warning label on the socket to the effect that it's live even when the light is switched off].
Reply to
Roger Mills

After Eurovision, even women seem to have given up shaving. :-)

There are also other devices like water flossers!

Screwfix site has a review which says:

Now supports Toothbrushes

23 Feb 2014 By bobdiy230 , Leicester "A nice unit and now the unit has a toothbrush symbol on the front as well, so no more charging outside the bathroom. Great product."

polygonum

How much safer is a bedroom than a bathroom for charging? Do we have figures for deaths from shaver chargers in bathrooms and "other rooms" for comparison? I would not be at all surprised if the figures were both zero for almost any chosen year.

It is very often more convenient to charge in the bathroom.

Reply to
polygonum

Are you unable to change a plug? If so, why would it be someone else's problem?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Those striplamps are horribly inefficient because they are single-coil vacuum bulbs, and significantly underrun. You can buy CFL retrofits (and possibly LED ones too).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Isolating shaver sockets are typically 270V off-load, or at the very small load chargers use, and the appliances have to cope with that.

(If you have a wide voltage range charger, you might want to plug it in to the 120V socket instead, if it fits or you have a safe adapter.)

The UK shaver plug is not the same as the EU 2-pin plug. Most shaver sockets are designed to accept both in the 230V socket.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Neither do the cutting heads. They can cost as much as a new shaver.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Many isolated shaver sockets actually have an internal switch so they are only powered when something is plugged in. I doubt one which is part of a light has the same - if it only worked when the light is on.

So I'd need to be sure the transformer is happy being powered up 24/7 - and even then it will waste power unnecessarily.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It might be safer for the device being charged. Dropping it on a hard surface or into water, etc.

Obviously depends on circumstances. I have other cordless devices which I'd normally use in the bathroom which don't have a two pin plug anyway. Like hair clippers.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

How do you change the plug on a wall wart?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)