Save me from Ikea cr*p

My daughter bought a ceiling light from Ikea,so I went up to fit it. what absolute rubbish, naff plastic, a patent device to hold the wires, hardly grips them. No way to fix the light securely to the ceiling. Why ever did she buy from there, the cheapest pendant ceiling light from elsewhere would be far better and easier to install, for the first time in over 40 years of D-I-Y I gave ups. :-((

Reply to
Broadback

A squirt of 'No Nails' and some gaffer tape?

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

As a friend of mine likes to say, the best thing about Ikea is the Swedish delicatessen at the entrance.

Curried herring highly recommended :-)

Reply to
Scott

Like many stores they tend to stock items made by others, and if the quality drops often they never notice till enough tell them. They are not alone in this Ring garden lights got taken over and every since their lights are absolute crap. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Show us a pic, it might be sortable. Otherwise it's refund time.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

But not the cutlery! One Ikea - London one I think, but not Croydon, had the most dreadful cutlery - filthy, sitting in wet trays. I complained about that and made them bring me a freshly washed set.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Is that the same Ring as automotive accessories? Those seem to get poor press on Amazon.

Reply to
Tim Watts

No, I mean the delicatessen ('Swedish shop'), not the cafe.

Reply to
Scott

Ikea are definitely poor for plastic. Two desk lamps failed one; due to a plastic pivot which supported the arm breaking, (which should never have been plastic in the first place) ;another due to an adapter falling to bits (possibly owing to heat maybe a safety issue which should have been reported), plus a stainless steel kettle rendered useless due to a plastic handle breaking in half.

Their all stainless steel, all chipboard, and textile items seem o.k; or at least not conspicuously worse than anyone else's. Certainly not at that price.

michael adams

michael adams

I fitted a bunch of Ring lights once. Won't buy those again.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Oh no, not unsafe things! End of the world! What are you a 6 year old girl?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I vaguely remember a household electrical device (I think a light) made by Ring.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

But most electrical equipment is made in China, is it not? My new mobile is made in China. I expect if I bought an iPhone it would be made in China too. Much as I would like to support UK manufacturing, I think the days of saying goods made in China are of poor quality are long gone.

Reply to
Scott

James Wilkinson Sword

Try buying the cheap Chinese stuff on Ebay. I've got rechargeable batteries here which have 20% of their rated capacity. The chargers work though.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Par for the course for Ikea. If it was me I would chuck the whole thing in the bin. You will only get grief if you have to repair it in years to come.

Apart from Billy bookshelves, I would never willingly buy anything from Ikea. Product quality is indifferent and customer experience in the store is awful.

Reply to
pamela

I'm not saying there is no tat made in China; I'm saying not all that is made in China is tat.

Reply to
Scott

Every single Chinese Li-Ion battery is tat. Even Samsung are only 80% of rated capacity. Only Panasonic don't LIE about what's inside them.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Not the ones that Apple uses.

Reply to
grjw

Aren't the good ones made in Japan?

And have you tested the actual capacity of an Apple battery? As below, I've found only Panasonic to tell the truth. Everyone else is a scam artist.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword