The Winter consumer ripoffs: EdenPure, HeatSurge

The Heat-surge ripoff:

Apparently Amish craftsmen are skilled with stapleguns.

The Edenpure ripoff:

copper, eh??

Many of the 1-star reviews say it quite well, esp. one long one on the edenpure. The 4,5 star reviews just prove that many Merkins can have a treebranch shoved up their asses, and delusionally think they're in a doctor's office, getting a colonoscopy. No, it is in fact a treebranch.....

These things are flying off the shelves at Costco et al. What a shame. An amazing shame, but still a shame.

Another example of Innovative Marketing, where the SOS is now priced 10 to

100x the price of the original product, be it vitamins, appliances, or hardware.

HD has heaters for 19.95, as does Target et al. Dish heaters, about $50, that have a low wattage setting, can be esp. efficient, by localizing heat.

Social Darwinism? Yeah, mebbe, but it can still affect the well-being of the non-darwinized, when NOTHING remains reasonably priced, precisely because of the success of Innovative Marketing amongst the darwinzed.

Proly the best bang for the buck are high-SEER mini-splits, with the heat pump. I have two fujitsu's that pump out unbelievable amounts of heat, depending on outside temps, of course. Mine are good sposedly down to 20 F, or lower, but I try not to use them below 32 F. The SEER of my units are supposedly 23.

But the cost is substantial, about $2500 per room, but for which you get really seamless, super-quiet unintrusive A/C, heat, dehumidification.

But it's hard to go wrong with $19.95 heaters, which are inherently "disposable".

Reply to
Existential Angst

But it is a well known fact that buildign a fancy box around an electric heater improves its efficiency something like 1,000 percent :).

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Apparently the vast majority of the general population are idiots, and enjoy getting scammed.

I blame it on the government. If not for all these safety laws that make smart people liable when an idiot does something stupid, the idiots would be keeping their population levels in check. Now they've bred out of control.

My problem is smarter people keep beating me to the good scams. I could be filthy rich living on my own island in the Caribbean, paying idiots to fight each other to the death while I watch.

Reply to
dennisgauge

Cured copper, eh??

Here's one of the longer more detailed critiques, proly not news to many here, but some might find it pretty informative. If nothing else, it drives home the point of the EXTENT of the fraud. ERGO, it's pretty long.... LOL

I think what he is doing is quoting THEIR FAQ section, and pointing out the bullshit... Bravo.

From the Amazon link above, one of the first reviews by Trapeze. Mercifully, 371 out of 420 found it useful, and hopefully a lot more than that. Overall an escellent job.

None of this is likely news to the rcm peeple, but I posted there, so's they can help spread the werd.

The first coiuple paragraphs ref the apparent multi-level marketing structure of this ripoff, the meat begins at the first Q&A. I like the "translation".

================================ ================================

Paul Harvey was a great man. He was a pioneer in radio broadcasting especially in regard to the talk radio genre. He was a decent person. One of the "good guys." In 2005, President George W. Bush awarded Mr. Harvey the Presidential Medal of Freedom. And recently he passed away.

But even great men have flaws. Paul Harvey had been quoted as saying, "I am fiercely loyal to those willing to put their money where my mouth is." And therein, lies a conflict of interest.

Now, I have no way of knowing whether or not Mr. Harvey knowingly endorsed fraudulent products but it is utterly indisputable that he did endorse the main product of Suarez Corporation Industries.

You undoubtedly have never heard of SCI but if you were a regular or even semi-regular listener of Paul Harvey you would have heard him endorse the miraculous EdenPURE heater with its revolutionary "cured copper" heat exchanger.

SCI is a prime supplier to the multi-level marketing community. Some of the companies that make up SCI are:

- Biotech Research

- International Home Shopping

- Lindenwold Fine Jewelers

- U.S. Commemorative Gallery

- Biotech Medical, LLC

- Resource Partners

This list is a smorgasbord of overpriced, yet intensely crappy products. (Oh sure, they sell the Tempur-Pedic line of closed cell foam mattresses which are merely overpriced...you can pick up the exact same thing at Walmart for a fraction of their cost.) This company is a virtual feeding frenzy for multi-level marketing scammers.

But I am only going to focus on their most prominent scam product: The EdenPURE heater.

The EdenPURE heater is the most expensive 115-volt electric space heater money can buy, bar none, and it is marketed with, at best, half-truths and, at worst, blatant lies.

Compounding the problem is literally hundreds (if not thousands) of independent distributors, many of them not authorized resellers.

So lets get into the meat of the issue. Just what does SCI, through its Biotech Research subsidiary, claim that the EdenPURE can do? Here are some select pickings from their FAQ page:

Q. What is the EdenPURE Heater Quartz Infrared Heating System? A. Our Heating System is a revolutionary zone furnace that safely and efficiently heats entire areas that need additional heat.

Translation: It's a portable electric space heater.

Q. How do the EdenPURE Quartz Infrared Portable Heaters Work? A. With the advent of micro-electronic technology and the latest in infrared commercial quartz tubes, three solar copper furnaces inside the unit absorb the heat from these tubes much like a sponge absorbs water. The patent pending process of cured natural copper creates an innovative heat exchanger capable of absorbing heat like a solar sponge. It then safely exhales what is coined as "soft" environmentally friendly heat that is able to travel rapidly in relative humidity. The EdenPURE SOFT heat does not burn up the humidity; moreover, it employs the humidity as a vehicle to warm up large spaces quickly and efficiently.

EdenPURE heater has perfectly regulated heat that will not destroy life/energy that other dangerous portable heating devices destroy, but helps to maintain healthy humidity levels indoors.

Other heaters cause occupants to lose energy and force them to breathe dry uncomfortable air. The EdenPURE heater replicates the earth's sun process by electronically exhaling comfortable cost cutting heat without burning up your family's life sustaining oxygen in your indoor living space. The benefits of this natural solar process are revolutionizing the way we will heat our homes and help save large amounts of costly energy.

Translation: Let the BS begin. Taking it item-by-item:

- Micro-electronic technology. Translation: It has a digital thermostat.

- The latest in infrared commercial quartz tubes. Translation: Three

500-watt halogen light bulbs. Big woop.

- Three solar copper furnaces. Translation: Copper pipe cut to length that surround the light bulbs.

- Cured natural copper. Translation: Fairy dust & unicorn farts. There is no such thing as "cured" copper.

- It then safely exhales. Translation: It has a blower.

-"Soft" environmentally friendly heat. Translation: More fairy dust.

-Does not burn up humidity. Translation: Utter nonsense, heaters don't dehumidify.

-Will not destroy life/energy. Translation: Utter nonsense for the mentally challenged.

-Helps to maintain healthy humidity levels. Translation: Utter nonsense, totally impossible.

-Other heaters cause occupants to lose energy. Translation: We think you are stupid.

-Replicates the earth's sun process. Translation: We think you are really, really stupid.

-Electronically exhales. Translation: We are doubling down on the stupid thing.

-Without burning...oxygen. Translation: Just in case you are an absolute idiot we are tossing this one in out of sheer spite.

-Helps save large amounts of costly energy: Translation: Compared to what? Plutonium?

Now back to the FAQ's...

Q. What makes the EdenPURE Heater "Healthier" than other heaters? A. For one... the EdenPURE heater does not produce positive ions like other blower (dryer) type heaters.

EdenPURE heater has perfectly regulated heat that will not destroy life/energy that other dangerous portable heating devices destroy, but helps to maintain healthy humidity levels indoors.

Since the early 1950s scientists have suspected that ions play an important role in how the body functions and, consequently, in how we feel. Research has shown that an abundance of negative ions in the air we breathe is highly beneficial.

Conversely, scientists have found that if the air is charged with too few negative ions and too many positives, we become anxious, fatigued and tense. Positive ion poisoning has, in fact, been linked to heart attacks, aggravated asthma, migraine headaches, insomnia, rheumatism, arthritis, hay fever, and most allergies.

Translation: Wow. This is industrial strength BS at its finest. To me, this is holistic, pseudo-science mumbo jumbo that is ridiculous and claiming that other heaters produce positive ions is utter rubbish thrown out there for the slow-witted.

Q. How does the comfort of the EdenPURE Heater System compare to other systems? A. The EdenPURE Heater System is a state of the art system that provides the most comfortable form of heat. Unlike traditional systems, which may leave a differential of up to 18 degrees from floor to ceiling, the EdenPURE Heater System heated air, using infrared absorption, does not concentrate near the ceiling. Heat stays down and evenly dispersed in the area where you and your family live.

Temperature difference from floor to ceiling is minimal. In addition, the EdenPURE Heater System does not remove humidity from the air. It actually helps maintain humidity levels. The even heating and higher humidity permit lower heat settings with more comfort, less condensation on windows and less static electricity. Furthermore, the EdenPURE Heater System does not use flame, fuel or any form of combustion. Therefore, the heat from the EdenPURE Heater is safe and clean - free of any other type of pollution and does not use up the oxygen in the air.

Translation: Okay, well this is more crap served up with a very large spoon...maybe even with a funnel and a hose.

The EdenPURE is, despite claims to the contrary, a forced air electric space heater. There is nothing magical about what it does. Room temperature air comes in one end and higher temperature air comes out the other end. That's it.

Warm air rises due to a property in air called "convection." To minimize the natural process of convection the air in a room may be circulated. Ceiling fans do this quite nicely.

There is no heater made that removes humidity from air. It is a physical impossibility. Period. To remove humidity from air one must lower the air temperature below its dew point. This is called condensation. Think of the "sweat" that occurs on a glass of ice water. If water condenses on the inside of your windows it is because there is a source of excess humidity in the house...someone left the shower running...and the glass is below the dew point. The EdenPURE heater is totally incapable of maintaining ANY level of humidity. Winter air is dry. Go to NOAA and look it up.

Any properly installed heating system will not use up the oxygen of the occupied space. Again, nothing magical here.

Q. Economically, how does the EdenPURE Heater System compare to other systems? A. The EdenPURE Heater System is the most economical way to heat. In Midwestern Utility field tests for heating seasons, the EdenPURE Heater used an average of 35% less energy than conventional electric furnace/baseboard systems. Comparable results were found during comparisons with fuel based heating systems. Individual results, of course, depend on insulation values, local climate, and other conditions.

Translation: This is a pure lie. The most economical way to heat using electricity is with a heat pump. So, yeah, individual results depend on "other conditions." These (along with that old favorite, "individual results may vary") are what are called "weasel words."

Q. How much area does a EdenPURE Heater System Heat? A. The EdenPURE GEN3 Model 1000 Heater is a 1483 watt Heating System, is an excellent source of primary heat for up to 400 square feet and a superb source of secondary heat for up to 1000 square feet of well insulated space. The EdenPURE GEN3 Model 500 Heater 900 watt Heating System, is an excellent source of primary heat for up to 200 square feet and a superb source of secondary heat for up to 300 square feet of well insulated space.

Translation: More nonsense. Heat loss for any given room in a house depends on a host of variables: Outside wall area, floor area, ceiling area, window area, door area and local climate conditions to name but a few. Matching a heating appliance without taking heat loss into account is incompetent.

Q. Why does the EdenPURE Heater System cost more than a space heater? It is a furnace in every respect. A space heater only has the capacity to heat a small space (i.e. under a desk). The EdenPURE Heater System, like a central heating system, will heat an entire area evenly and efficiently. This allows the unit to be a supplemental source of heat. Furthermore, the EdenPURE Heater System is safe. It will not start a fire or burn if you touch it. Because of the reduced energy consumption, and the unit's high level of safety and comfort, EdenPURE Heater System users agree that it is the best value available.

Translation: The EdenPURE is a space heater in every respect. It isn't a furnace. A furnace is designed to heat an entire home. The EdenPURE is not. Properly installed and maintained furnaces are safe, too. Duh. Too many EdenPURE owners are way too embarrassed by what they paid for it to say anything other than what a great value it is.

Q. Why is the EdenPURE Heater System safe? A. The EdenPURE Heater System has no flame or fumes. Its safe, clean infrared heating elements provide the energy. Extensive testing at CUL (Canada) and UL (United States) has verified the safety of the EdenPURE Heater System. Due to its safe operating temperature, the EdenPURE Heater may be placed next to flammable materials with minimal safety clearance needed.

Translation: All appliances sold in the USA, including space heaters and furnaces, are listed with Underwriters Laboratories. Big Deal.

Q. What kind of Satisfaction Guarantee does it have? A. We have a 60 day Satisfaction Guarantee. Our Return Policy: You can return or exchange any purchase within 60 days for any reason. NOTE: Items must be returned in the same box & packaging received by you with everything that was included in the original shipment.

Translation: Wow. Sixty days. So, when you discover that it doesn't save you a dime you are totally screwed. Nice policy.

The hundreds of other scam artists that peddle this device go even further with the "cured copper" BS by creating their own little urban legend about its "discovery." Here is the story that they peddle:

"'This advanced heating element was discovered accidentally by a man named John Jones. He had a large old farmhouse that was impossible to heat. Jones had a coal furnace in his basement. Jones placed a sheet of cured copper near the furnace to store it. Cured copper is a type of copper that goes through an extensive heating process to give it special properties. ''After the fire went out in the coal furnace, Jones noticed that the sheet of copper was heating his entire basement evenly, even though the furnace was no longer putting out heat. He also was amazed as to how long the heat stayed in the copper and continued to warm the room. ''Jones was so taken back by this that he started to experiment. He formed a company to develop a heating source out of this cured copper. But Jones had a number of children and he did not want a heating source that would cause a fire or create other hazardous situations like creating carbon monoxide or radiation. He also did not want his children to get burned. To make a long story short, through a great deal of research and development, Jones developed a heating source that utilized commercial infrared quartz tubes. John Jones designed his heating source around the three most important consumer benefits: economy, comfort, and safety. The final development of this infrared quartz heat source cannot be matched by any other heating system in the world."

Translation: Pure and utter BS from start to finish. There is no such thing as "cured copper." It has no "special properties" other than to separate you from several hundred bucks. Take a little stroll over to copper.o r g and try your hardest to find a reference to it. It does not exist except in the minds of simpletons.

The final nail in this smelly little coffin comes from Consumer Reports:

"The unit was the second-lowest-scoring space heater we tested, earning only a 24 on our 100-point scale. According to the folks in our Tech department who tested space heaters, the EdenPure provided lackluster temperature control and was not particularly easy to use, What's more, it was pricey and lacked an overheat-protection feature (key for safety). The GEN3 models do have this important safety feature, according to BioTech Research."

Bottom Line:

If you insist on spending up to $400 for an electric space heater that's your business. But you can get the exact same result for around $30 at your local hardware store. 1500 watts of heat is 1500 watts of heat regardless of how it's packaged and how much it costs.

And don't ever buy anything that multi-level (or network) marketers are selling, especially their "system."

Amen to the whole rant, esp. the last line.

Oh, and I love the Consumer Reports ratings. Unfort'ly, not a lot of people pay attention to CR, another shame.

Reply to
Existential Angst

Replace "Apparently" with "Sadly", as there is NO doubt.

Scamming the rubes has always been and will always be one of the great American pastimes. The fact that no AC heater you can plug into a standard wall socket will ever deliver more that 1500W of energy, be it radiant, convected, quartz, or magic Amish whatchamacallits, is beyond the grasp of almost all Americans. Much like fruit juicers and magnetic and/or copper bracelets, the rubes WANT to believe. Let 'em.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Oh yeah, the review was for one of the EdenPure's. Same shit applies to HeatSurge, less the "cured copper"... cured copper is hilarious....

Reply to
Existential Angst

Yep, as silly as the loonies that are hoarding incandescent light bulbs. Hehehehhehhehehheeeeeheheee!

Reply to
Mr. Grumpypants

That part is not completely accurate, as ventless propane/NG units are legal in many states and do use room oxygen.

Reply to
ATP

Just another electric heater using a heat bulb rather than a resistive wire heating coil. What people dont understand is that no matter how you make heat from electricity, you only get so many BTU's per watt, and this can not be increased. The one advantage I do see, is that these heatlamp heaters are probably safer than the heating coil type. But they dont save money.

Reply to
jw